Modern paint code for 59 Inca Silver Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mickatbp
DUB,
All I can say is WOW! You've gone to an exceptional amount of trouble for a guy you don't know who lives half a world away and if nothing else you need to know that I very much appreciate your knowledge and the effort you have gone to to help me.

Can I suggest that if it is not too much trouble that you also give me the actual formula with toner numbers and amounts as I'll probably only need to ask you this very question once I've been to the paint shop anyway.

From all accounts Inca Silver was a pretty rare colour anyway and I can't imagine there'd be another one over here anyway let alone a critic with enough paint knowledge to question and variance and YES as correct as possible is all I'm asking for.

Even if I take a photo of the sample I've been give on a paint card and send it to you I'm sure what you see will be different compared to the original.

Kindest Regards
Michael.

P.S. If you haven't left to go and pick up the code ......... I can wait another day.
The older I get the more I forget and the more 'brain farts' I encounter.

In your first post...you wrote the paint code PPG 31425...which is EXACTLY what I got when I called and talked with the color lab. PPG stated that the GM paint code is a 509A

SO...do you need me to spray out a panel and ship it to you????....even though I hope you understood what I wrote on how the SAME exact color can be lightened or darkened just by adjusting 'things'? I can shoot a panel if needed...and it is not that big of a deal....just have to work it into my other jobs.

AS for the formula....the paint shop SHOULD be able to acquire it easily...because I asked PPG and they stated that they should have it or get it if they are a PPG store......but if you need me to get it....all I need to know is what system do you plan on using.....such as DBC. or any of the others I listed that you can get product for. Not a big deal for me and I will get the formula that is cumulative in grams. ( the paint mixer will know what that means)...because I hope they are not mixing paint in 'parts'...versus grams.

And...all I can say is this...is if someone comments to the fact that the color is not 'right'( in their opinion)...I can bet they are JEALOUS and had to say something negative. TRUST ME...ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING about paint knows that car manufacturer's CAN NOT paint every car perfect...even with today's technology. I GUARANTEE...the first silver Corvette off the line will not EXACTLY match the last Corvette painted in silver in the production year...I would BET on it and WIN! So...getting it as close as possible is all you can expect....and forget about the jerks that can not appreciate what you have.

When show people my color decks...they are amazed in the number of variants some colors have ..and how far off they are from the 'prime' formula that GM intended every car to be painted....which just does not work that way....and it is NOT just GM...it is ALL of them...literally ALL of them have variants to some degree.

DUB
Old 07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Dub, if you could spray out a panel for me that would be great.

I'll get back to you with the PPG system they use here
Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB, in PPG they can do: Deltron (global) Base or Dg.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB, in PPG they can do: Deltron (global) Base or Dg.
UNFORTUNATELY...that system is not one of the systems that has an exact formula for the color. The formula is only available in DDL ( lacquer) DBC....and the ENVIROBASE (waterborne). I will call the color lab and see how long it can take to possible get a formula derived in GLOBAL for the INCA SILVER 31425.

DUB
Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
UNFORTUNATELY...that system is not one of the systems that has an exact formula for the color. The formula is only available in DDL ( lacquer) DBC....and the ENVIROBASE (waterborne). I will call the color lab and see how long it can take to possible get a formula derived in GLOBAL for the INCA SILVER 31425.

DUB
Thanks DUB.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

OK...Here is what is going on.

After having a long conversation with a guy at PPG main headquarters...he said this.

He got on this post and read what you wrote....and said that the US does not support the DG format of paint any longer in the US.....and that as you wrote it Deltron (global) baseis misleading to him and need to know if it is like BC or something else. they..as he put it...are two different types of paint. The DG is from what he said is a single stage.

He suggested this...and that is you can contact PPG for your territory/country, etc....and request a sample of the color that has been sprayed out on a panel.

When he looked up the color and it is an easy color due to having fine and medium aluminum and some weak white in it.

OR...something that may be easier....get a hold of PPG and find a the NEXA dealer in Australia...the guy I talked to says he has dealt with NEXA corporate guys over there and NEXA has the formula already figured out in their 2K and Aquabase lines.

I could find some of this out for you...but I think I would need you zip code.

This is what I kinda found already....and do not know if it is correct...but if you can get a hold of someone corporate...they can help you or at least direct you to NEXA and get the paint already to be mixed.

http://corporate.ppg.com/getdoc/a0cd...a-Pacific.aspx

DUB
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
OK...Here is what is going on.

After having a long conversation with a guy at PPG main headquarters...he said this.

He got on this post and read what you wrote....and said that the US does not support the DG format of paint any longer in the US.....and that as you wrote it Deltron (global) baseis misleading to him and need to know if it is like BC or something else. they..as he put it...are two different types of paint. The DG is from what he said is a single stage.

He suggested this...and that is you can contact PPG for your territory/country, etc....and request a sample of the color that has been sprayed out on a panel.

When he looked up the color and it is an easy color due to having fine and medium aluminum and some weak white in it.

OR...something that may be easier....get a hold of PPG and find a the NEXA dealer in Australia...the guy I talked to says he has dealt with NEXA corporate guys over there and NEXA has the formula already figured out in their 2K and Aquabase lines.

I could find some of this out for you...but I think I would need you zip code.

This is what I kinda found already....and do not know if it is correct...but if you can get a hold of someone corporate...they can help you or at least direct you to NEXA and get the paint already to be mixed.

http://corporate.ppg.com/getdoc/a0cd...a-Pacific.aspx

DUB
Thanks DUB, no HQ in Brisbane but there is one in Sydney. Realistically, if I had the modern paint code / quantities / formula to make up the paint I could use any brand of paint. Like you said 'formula that is cumulative in grams'. I'm not familiar with all of the codes but what I want to use is a base coat with hardener (thinners wash up) with a clear coat with hardener over the top.

Last edited by mickatbp; 07-17-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks DUB, no HQ in Brisbane but there is one in Sydney. Realistically, if I had the modern paint code / quantities / formula to make up the paint I could use any brand of paint. Like you said 'formula that is cumulative in grams'. I'm not familiar with all of the codes but what I want to use is a base coat with hardener (thinners wash up) with a clear coat with hardener over the top.
"Realistically, if I had the modern paint code / quantities / formula to make up the paint I could use any brand of paint."

It does not work like that....the reason being....PPG paint code for the INCA silver has three toners in it...but NEXA has four....due to variations of how the toner is derived....BUT ...the color comes out the same. SO....the toner product numbers for the systems you can use are more than likely not the same as the toners PPG has for the color that can be mixed up in the systems they offer the color in...that I previously mentioned.

I know that I can add a hardener to my NEXA 2K basecoat if I want to. I can not comment on many other paint systems due to just not knowing or care to know.

Contacting PPG/NEXA is going to be your best bet...and from what my guy said...they should be able to help you out and get a test panel shot and sent to a lab and a color derived....if needed...which is why if PPG has nothing for you can you can find NEXA....they have that color all ready for mixing.

QUESTION: What do you mean by 'Thinners wash up"???? I do not understand what you mean by this.

DUB
Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

QUESTION: What do you mean by 'Thinners wash up"???? I do not understand what you mean by this.

DUB[/QUOTE]

As you can tell, I'm no paint guy. I meant you use thinners to clean the gun.

I'll see what I come up with NEXA and get back to you.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB

I'll see what I come up with NEXA and get back to you.[/QUOTE]

If you have any problems finding NEXA there...let me know ...I will call the guy i know and get the contact info.

DUB
Old 07-18-2015, 05:45 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB

I'll see what I come up with NEXA and get back to you.
If you have any problems finding NEXA there...let me know ...I will call the guy i know and get the contact info.

DUB[/QUOTE]

Well the contact number that I found in Sydney, gave them a call but they do house paint, I'll need to wait until Monday to investigate further; in the interum if not too much hassle may as well get your contact to give me the number.

Tell you what ......... I thought this would have been a much easier process from my end ... ie. go to PPG in Bris ... give them the code ... and Bingo ............ get the paint.

P.S. I'll do more photos for the other post.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Mick,
I talked with the guy I know...and he basically said this. You are going to have to either look through old phone books for ICI AUTOCOLOR paint suppliers...or....Google it using the ICI AUTOCOlOR or NEXA AUTOCOLOR name.

The more I talk with him the more I find out such as just because paint in Australia is called "Deltron" it may not be the same as the Deltron here in the states due to different governing bodies that can control ingredients.

You should be able to find the NEXA over in your area. When you do...if you do...and need to know how to shoot the stuff if your are the one painting the car....let me know.

DUB
Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Mick,
I talked with the guy I know...and he basically said this. You are going to have to either look through old phone books for ICI AUTOCOLOR paint suppliers...or....Google it using the ICI AUTOCOlOR or NEXA AUTOCOLOR name.

The more I talk with him the more I find out such as just because paint in Australia is called "Deltron" it may not be the same as the Deltron here in the states due to different governing bodies that can control ingredients.

You should be able to find the NEXA over in your area. When you do...if you do...and need to know how to shoot the stuff if your are the one painting the car....let me know.

DUB
Thanks BUB, I emailed PPG Aus from their website contact three das ago .......... not even a recognition of my existance, I'll try again.

I'll look into the ICI option.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

YOU WON'T BELIEVEIT

I phoned DuPont ... Chromax in Australia gave them all the codes and one guy in Brisbane at 'Qld Paint Supplies' (about 20 minutes away from my house) named Andrew who is a Mustang and Corvette buff did some homework and phoned me back a couple of hours after I called him and BINGO he can do the paint for me. The number he used was the GM code 509A. It is a medium/fine metallic silver with two tints ... think he said a blue and black (can't remember the tints was in shock that he had the paint code to mix).... interestingly, said no white in it though.

It's an acrylic paint ... said that was fine as long as the undercoat was an epoxy.

About time I had a result with this.

Now all I have to do is sort out that dash issue and we are moving ahead again with both feet.

Dub, still interested in any further comments you have and I'll confirm the tints when I'm picking up the paint.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Mick,
The tints or toners can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another. SO the DuPont color being different is all about the color of their toner (tint) that they have designed. All toners are not the same.

Please do not give up on looking into the NEXA AUTOCOLOR...knowing that you have found the color....which is GREAT....I would give it a bit of time unless you need the paint right away....which is does not look that way. The reason I am expressing this is because from a painters point of view...there is a big difference.....and If I had the choice between the two...and had to drive an hour+ to get the NEXA...I would without hesitation.

YES...the 509A code was also confirmed also when I called it in.

ALSO PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND:

If you have to use the Dupont....for whatever reason....you might want to buy a very small amount. Meaning a 1/4 pint or how ever they sell it over there. The reason is this. When you are at the paint store....pick up the paint and also a 'spray out card' ..which is a black and white checkered card that you spray paint. The paint guy should know what you are asking for....it is used by painters to paint so they can check a color before they tint it.

This 'spray out card' will let you know how many coats of paint it will take to cover the black and white checkers. This way...it will allow you to gauge on how much paint to buy. So...when spraying this card...paint it exactly like you would the car and NO DOUBLE COATS....which will give you a false result.

Which is why I am still mentioning you looking into find NEXA....because it has really strong toners...which cover really fast....thus you use less paint.

Obviously...the choice is yours...and I am only giving you my opinion on what I use that can help you out.

DUB
Old 07-22-2015, 07:27 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Mick,
The tints or toners can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another. SO the DuPont color being different is all about the color of their toner (tint) that they have designed. All toners are not the same.

Please do not give up on looking into the NEXA AUTOCOLOR...knowing that you have found the color....which is GREAT....I would give it a bit of time unless you need the paint right away....which is does not look that way. The reason I am expressing this is because from a painters point of view...there is a big difference.....and If I had the choice between the two...and had to drive an hour+ to get the NEXA...I would without hesitation.

YES...the 509A code was also confirmed also when I called it in.

ALSO PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND:

If you have to use the Dupont....for whatever reason....you might want to buy a very small amount. Meaning a 1/4 pint or how ever they sell it over there. The reason is this. When you are at the paint store....pick up the paint and also a 'spray out card' ..which is a black and white checkered card that you spray paint. The paint guy should know what you are asking for....it is used by painters to paint so they can check a color before they tint it.

This 'spray out card' will let you know how many coats of paint it will take to cover the black and white checkers. This way...it will allow you to gauge on how much paint to buy. So...when spraying this card...paint it exactly like you would the car and NO DOUBLE COATS....which will give you a false result.

Which is why I am still mentioning you looking into find NEXA....because it has really strong toners...which cover really fast....thus you use less paint.

Obviously...the choice is yours...and I am only giving you my opinion on what I use that can help you out.

DUB
DuPont is actually Axalta over here and the acrylic auto paint is called Chromax. Axalta has three paint ranges ... economy, intermediate and premium requiring 3 to 4, 2 to 3 and 1 to 2 coats (respectively). I think I'll go for the intermediate for the underside and the premium for the top coat when the time comes. Apparently you can also get an elastomer additive to the premium range ... may be a good idea when the time come ... what are your thoughts on this?

You are correct in that I'm in less of a rush now in getting the paint down as I'm not moving O/S for work anymore and don't need to get the body back on the chassis anywhere near as quickly. But the premium range sounds like a good solution and I found a second distributor of Axalta in Brisbane and he was just as quick with the code whereas PPG over here was a much more difficult and still ongoing process with no reply after many weeks though the guy was initially very enthusiastic and I stopped chasing after the first 3 or 4 phone calls.

I would like to get the paint down though as I can then move on to the next task.... if that make sense.

I will take your advice with the paint card.

Quick Reply: Modern paint code for 59 Inca Silver Metallic