Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How-To Tuesday: Your Corvette Home Paint Chip Repair Guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday: Your Corvette Home Paint Chip Repair Guide

Paint chips and accidental scratches happen. Here's a great guide so you don't have to live with them on your Corvette.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I just LOVE these type of 'How to's'....

Just to give a professional 'take' on this....because I have been touching up small spots on cars for decades. I will write this.

The odds that when the spot is repaired it is NOT noticeable is highly stacked against you. Especially if the person looking at it and knows what to look for and has an eye for color.

Solid color cars...like those shown in advertisements are completely different than a car having a metallic/pearl color. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Even solid color paints can fade and thus getting the mix correct is hard to do if attempting to make the repair NOT noticeable. If you want it not to be easily seen 10 feet away...well then that may be something entirely different.

Attempting to touch up a spot when the color is a metallic/pearl color is SUPER HARD because brushing paint disperses the metallics/pearls differently than when it is sprayed and atomized. I have done it a very few times and that is after hours of thinning the paint to get the metallics and pearls to lay down correct....and when it was all said and done...I should have prepped the panel and shot it....because I can still tell where it was chipped.

So the results you actually see and can live with....will be determined by you. But I can tell you that this type of repair process does not provide the same result as if the repair was professionally repaired and painted...as the information basically stated. So knowing it is not the same...please do not be shocked if the results are not like you may have hoped for....even though some videos/photo's may show it differently.

YES...even I get lucky on some solid color cars and get them looking darn good....so I know some who try this may actually have it work out well. I do hope that all that try this have success.

DUB

Quick Reply: How-To Tuesday: Your Corvette Home Paint Chip Repair Guide