Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Might have found a painter, but I see red flags!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Might have found a painter, but I see red flags!

Hi guys.
I've been restoring my '76 for about 6 years.
With time the project morphed from fixing a DD to making a rather exotic restomod.
It's always been a budget build, pouring more hours and DIY to compensate the lack of funds.
So far so good, but now I need to get the car painted.
A bad paintjob would ruin all the hard work.
Given the lack of room for learning errors, I'm trying to get this done by someone else.
With an expected budget of 3k$ I probably will never find a established shop, so I looked for unofficial painters in the classified.
And I found one promising candidate.

-Old dude, sounded calm and composed.
-Semi retired, he told me he ran a performance part shop, making aero parts amongst other things, so he's used to fiberglass and painting.
-He's done recently a couple of friend's cars, saw the pics, looked fine.
-He proposed PPG paint: he understood I'm looking for something above the ordinary.
-I exposed the steps I envisioned for the paintjob, and he agreed.

Now here comes the red flags :
-We talked about degreasing the fiberglass, I proposed PPG DX103, and said he would use soap and water "as he always did".
-He wouldn't use a paint booth, he's doing it outside. He declined the offer to rent one for him.

While he sounded very knowledgeable and experimented, I can't wrap my mind about those two facts.
What do you guys think? Justified concerns?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
Now here comes the red flags :
-We talked about degreasing the fiberglass, I proposed PPG DX103, and said he would use soap and water "as he always did".
-He wouldn't use a paint booth, he's doing it outside. He declined the offer to rent one for him.

While he sounded very knowledgeable and experimented, I can't wrap my mind about those two facts.
What do you guys think? Justified concerns?
QUESTION 1: Why is the 'fiberglass' needing to be degreased????

QUESTION 2: Are you 'talking' about degreasing the RAW fiberglass with NO paint on it... or just the paint that is ON the body currently BEFORE any sanding is performed.????

You responses to the 2 questions above will help greatly.

On your second 'red flag'....that is BIG red flag on a couple of levels.

First is...that just is NOT RIGHT...and the EPA would just LOVE HIM if they caught him doing it...regardless where it is being done in the United States. It is called the 'Clean Air Act'...and the implemented 6H rule.

Secondly....PLEASE....COME ON ...him refusing to get a temporary paint booth with approved filters....that is what makes me cringe. That is all you need it bugs and crap in your paint....even though me might be able to sand and buff them out.....for me....it still seems that HE may not understand what YOU have invested in your car...and remotely being to RESPECT IT.

I read that you want someone else to do it. I get that. But settling for someone who will ruin your work...are you open to doing it yourself if your are guided through the process??? Just asking. Also...consider this. I know often times painters that work at body shop do side work that will not get them fired due to a conflict in interest with their employer. Possibly check and see if you can find a professional painter that will do it for you on the side....OR....if in your area...you have vocational college that has a paint and body curriculum...maybe you can get with the instructor and work something out....just a thought.

DUB
Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
QUESTION 1: Why is the 'fiberglass' needing to be degreased????

QUESTION 2: Are you 'talking' about degreasing the RAW fiberglass with NO paint on it... or just the paint that is ON the body currently BEFORE any sanding is performed.????

You responses to the 2 questions above will help greatly.
The whole body is down to bare fiberglass, with some part in that state for years. I think it's sane to assume I did contaminate the body, heck I wasn't wearing gloves ALL the time.
Originally Posted by DUB

On your second 'red flag'....that is BIG red flag on a couple of levels.

First is...that just is NOT RIGHT...and the EPA would just LOVE HIM if they caught him doing it...regardless where it is being done in the United States. It is called the 'Clean Air Act'...and the implemented 6H rule.

Secondly....PLEASE....COME ON ...him refusing to get a temporary paint booth with approved filters....that is what makes me cringe. That is all you need it bugs and crap in your paint....even though me might be able to sand and buff them out.....for me....it still seems that HE may not understand what YOU have invested in your car...and remotely being to RESPECT IT.
Yeah, I agree.
Originally Posted by DUB

I read that you want someone else to do it. I get that. But settling for someone who will ruin your work...are you open to doing it yourself if your are guided through the process??? Just asking.
Six years ago I didn't know jack about cars, so yeah, I probably could do the job, but I don't have the space nor the time.
All the thing I could do in my garage, that was because it was in my garage. I could drop the think and come back in an hour, a day or a week.
Paint is a different beast. I need to rent a place, dedicate the few of my vacation days to the task and explain that to wife.
Originally Posted by DUB
Also...consider this. I know often times painters that work at body shop do side work that will not get them fired due to a conflict in interest with their employer. Possibly check and see if you can find a professional painter that will do it for you on the side....
You're spot on, but that's the freaking unicorn, because you can only talk to the manager, while it's the employees you'd need to reach. If only I had connections. Looked on local car forums, without much luck.
Originally Posted by DUB
OR....if in your area...you have vocational college that has a paint and body curriculum...maybe you can get with the instructor and work something out....just a thought.

DUB
Well, that's funny you say that, because I live three blocks away from Montreal's paint shop college. No kidding.
I forgot about them, at the time I was not sure putting your baby in the hands of a bunch of teenagers was a good idea.
But you're damn right, I'd be stupid not to go have a discussion with them.

Thanks DUB!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Just a thought, maybe going to car shows and asking around could help find you a painter. Youll be able to see the finished product as well.
A painter that turns down a booth is just nuts.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dt86
Just a thought, maybe going to car shows and asking around could help find you a painter. Youll be able to see the finished product as well.
A painter that turns down a booth is just nuts.
And yet another one from the "how the hell didn't I think of that" department. Good point, I'll go to the next Weekly meeting on the north shore.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Find someone else.

Get notified of new replies

To Might have found a painter, but I see red flags!

Quick Reply: Might have found a painter, but I see red flags!