Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

OPTIMA Presents How-To Tuesday: Blackout Those Corvette Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:06 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OPTIMA Presents How-To Tuesday: Blackout Those Corvette Taillights

Taillight tinting has never been easier. Take the time to do this project on your own and save money for another modification later!

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 07-14-2015, 04:04 PM
2VettesMike
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.......until the car brakes in front of you and you can't see their taillights.
Try this in the daytime especially.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:15 PM
HBFBAJAracer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2VettesMike
.......until the car brakes in front of you and you can't see their taillights.
Try this in the daytime especially.
Mine work perfectly fine in the day. You can see them up to 500 feet easily.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It amazes me on how some ideas just do not make sense. And darkening your brake lights is one of them in my opinion. It just does not make sense to me. Taillights from the automotive manufactures meet DOT standards. And in many states...the taillights MUST be red.

YES...if the car is sitting still at a car show...I am all for it. Then take it off when you get on the road.

All I can 'say'...if on a sunny day...and the light being at the right position in the sky...and it is making your taillight very,very hard to see....trust me...if I ran into you....I would use your 'blacked out' taillights as an argument and it being altered equipment. Because I see it in my town..and on a sunny day...I barely can see the light come on when the sun is right.

BUT...people will do what they want. Go for it!!!! Let someone hit your rear bumper...because you are actually helping the collision industry. Heck its your car...but hopefully you do not allow your children or spouse to drive it and THEY get hurt. Or the 'other' person who hit you.

Do as you wish...as I wrote..not my car or something I would do to my car if on the street.

DUB
Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need all the advantage I can get.

To each their own, but I need all the advantage I can get.

The brighter the brake lights the better.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
It amazes me on how some ideas just do not make sense. And darkening your brake lights is one of them in my opinion. It just does not make sense to me. Taillights from the automotive manufactures meet DOT standards. And in many states...the taillights MUST be red.

YES...if the car is sitting still at a car show...I am all for it. Then take it off when you get on the road.

All I can 'say'...if on a sunny day...and the light being at the right position in the sky...and it is making your taillight very,very hard to see....trust me...if I ran into you....I would use your 'blacked out' taillights as an argument and it being altered equipment. Because I see it in my town..and on a sunny day...I barely can see the light come on when the sun is right.

BUT...people will do what they want. Go for it!!!! Let someone hit your rear bumper...because you are actually helping the collision industry. Heck its your car...but hopefully you do not allow your children or spouse to drive it and THEY get hurt. Or the 'other' person who hit you.

Do as you wish...as I wrote..not my car or something I would do to my car if on the street.

DUB

Not a legal mod in many states including mine (California). If you get rear ended with this mod on your car you will be liable for all the damage including the car that hit you.

Get notified of new replies

To OPTIMA Presents How-To Tuesday: Blackout Those Corvette Taillights

Quick Reply: OPTIMA Presents How-To Tuesday: Blackout Those Corvette Taillights