Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Spies Hecker Polyester Primer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Bill "O"
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spies Hecker Polyester Primer

Has anyone out here used a product called "Raderal", a polyester high build primer from a manufacturer called Spies Hecker? It was recommended to me by a friend who has done a lot of paint work on older Corvettes.

I have done three of my own cars with Eckler's Spray Gel-Coat and have been extremely happy with the results, but the material is miserable to sand. I understand the Raderal sands very well, but I question the long time durability.

If anyone has had experience with it, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bill "O"
Old 07-26-2015, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill "O"
Has anyone out here used a product called "Raderal", a polyester high build primer from a manufacturer called Spies Hecker? It was recommended to me by a friend who has done a lot of paint work on older Corvettes.

I have done three of my own cars with Eckler's Spray Gel-Coat and have been extremely happy with the results, but the material is miserable to sand. I understand the Raderal sands very well, but I question the long time durability.

If anyone has had experience with it, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bill "O"
Bill "O",

YES...I have used the Spies Hecker stuff. It is some good stuff....but honestly I use a different type of polyester primer. Better on cost and has no performance issues. I have no complaints about it. Your friend should be able to show you any tricks he has found to make it easier for you if you plan on using it from now on.

And as for using gelcoat...I completely agree with you using it. YES...it can be a bit of a pain. But what gelcoat can do ...versus any other product. gelcoat is in a world all its own. I am NOT writing that you should change to a polyester primer or NOT change. That is your call. But I will write that I will ALWAYS use gelcoat on a NON-SMC Corvette when I am doing an all over paint job that I care about and the customer wants right.

TRUST ME...I often times sit back and reflect and wonder if I started using a polyester primer after all of the years of successful paint jobs...would it possibly come back and haunt me. And if it did come back and haunt me with a problem that gelcoat could have prevented....is all the time I am now going to have to spend on the car AGAIN worth it. This is a dilemma I seem to always consider....but never act on....even though I use the polyester primer on a SMC body and have a few issues with it due to the SMC being soaked with 'tire shine' from the rear tire slinging it to the underside of the quarter panel and getting sucked into the SMC because it is never cleaned off (C4) and causing the epoxy and polyester primer to bubble.

DUB

Quick Reply: Spies Hecker Polyester Primer