Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C3 Hood Repair Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
69red
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default C3 Hood Repair Advice

I need some advice on how to repair C3 hood corner damage. The hood was dropped and a small part of a corner fractured and broke off. There are several cracks near the missing piece. I have the missing piece. Thanks for the help

Old 07-31-2015, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What year???? C3 does not tell the exact year.

It looks like a 1968-1972 hood.

Also...is this a factory hood??? ( it looks like factory...but I have been wrong before).....your photos are great....but all close ups does not let me see if it is a factory hood or aftermarket. Which it looks like a factory hood....BUT something looks weird and not right. Like some repair has already been done to it...mainly what I can see in your last photo.

Regardless of all of what I wrote....it can be repaired...but how it is done depends on some issues. The level of repair and what you want at the end ...when it is done will determine what process you will need to take to repair it.

Save the missing piece and put it in a jar for your desk....it is not needed for the repair.

DUB
Old 07-31-2015, 06:19 PM
69red
Instructor

Dub,

Thanks for the reply. It is a 1971 original factory hood. I don't believe it has ever been repaired before. How would you suggest fixing it?
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Fiberglass mat and resin....and depending on how you want it to look when competed...will depend on how you laminate it.

SO...if you want it to look like it has NEVER been damaged from the underside view. basically a mirror image of the other side. It will take some very precise laminating and additional steps so you can re-create the thin gap that you can see in the last photo.

SO...once again..it depends on what you want when it is completed.

DUB
Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
69red
Instructor

I would like the repair to be undetectable. How would I go about creating the lip? Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Question: have you ever laminated fiberglass mat and resin before???

DUB
Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 PM
69red
Instructor

Yes, I have used fiberglass mat and resin to make several repairs in three previous Corvettes that I got ready for paint. I'm just an ameture and was looking for some advice. Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69red
Yes, I have used fiberglass mat and resin to make several repairs in three previous Corvettes that I got ready for paint. I'm just an ameture and was looking for some advice. Thanks
Thanks...you have to understand that I need to know if you have ever dealt with it. Many people slap the resin and fiberglass down and have no idea that to make a good strong repair....the ability to work out the air and get the concentration of resin to fiberglass mat correct is what makes it a strong repair.

In this corner of the hood..I guess it really does not matter due to begin so small...but ...I always feel...why take the chance and do the repair like I have done all fiberglass repairs.

Well...if you are wanting to make this so you can not tell. instead of me typing till my fingers bleed. If you are still interested...PM me and I will give you my shop phone number so I can talk to you and describe what needs to be done.

If not....than laminate it up like you have in the past Corvettes you worked on. Grind, laminate and cut at it to make it look like the other side and primer it and your done.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Hood Repair Advice

Quick Reply: C3 Hood Repair Advice