Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Question for DUB or SHINE

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 PM
n.g.hayes
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Question for DUB or SHINE

Ready for topcoat on my 68 vert project. Plan for now is PPG Ditzler Hot Rod Black. My question concerns a possible clear on this product. I know it would need a flattening agent to hold down the shine but what happens if you need to cut and buff the clear? Will it go back to shiny or will it remain flat to a certain degree? My paint projects always look better if they get the cut and buff process. At my age, I seem to screw up more and doubt if this project will be any different. I know a lot of people are against the flat black look but everyone is entitled to an opinion. I may not need a clear but it never hurts to plan ahead.
Thank Guys,
Norm
Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Norm,

If you plan on using a flattened clear on top of Hot Rod black paint....why use Hot Rod black paint? You can use regular black basecoat and flatten the clear and get the same result. Clearing over flat black paint or regular black paint will end up with the same result. Which is the flattened clear that you mixed and shot controlling the end result. So...save the $$$ and use regular black basecoat. Now in door jambs and areas where you might not want clearcoat...then use the Hot Rod black. And this is where the logistics of the painting process and get involved.

If you buff flattened clear or the Hog Rod black...it will shine up. No getting around it.

Maintaining a 'flat look' on a car and it being consistent is either not really driving it a lot...and watching what you do to the finish.

The other option is wrapping it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-music.html

And there is also another post where they shoot this stuff that you can peel off that is flat.

And...if you care to...shoot some test panels and test and see what happens...and what you might be able to do to possibly dull it back out again....such as washing the buffed/shiny panel with Comet and a grey 3M Scotch-brite pad. Think of it like brushed stainless steel...I have buffed on it and got it shiny in areas...and had to put the brushed look back in the part with sandpaper.

In this case of you normally cutting and buffing the finish...which is what I also do. You might have to give up on that idea....and if I was doing this for you...and had some issues in the paint that I wanted to get out.....I would stop...let it cure....sand it again to get these glitches out....then re-mask off the car....and apply a final coat that would be less likely to get messed up. Whatever ended up in the finish....is what it is....and goes for the ride.

DUB
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 PM
n.g.hayes
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks DUB,
Paint had already been purchased so here we go. Couple of test panels with the hot rod black looked ok. Once we get a break in our weather, time to tackle the car.
Thanks again,
Norm
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

pretty much agree with dub . all i could add is when you get it covered well you can scuff out trash and do a final coat with less .
Old 08-01-2015, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
pretty much agree with dub . all i could add is when you get it covered well you can scuff out trash and do a final coat with less .
100%

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Question for DUB or SHINE

Quick Reply: Question for DUB or SHINE