Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What is the White Stuff (fills door to birdcage gaps)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM
BobG74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the White Stuff (fills door to birdcage gaps)

!974 T Top prepping for paint removed door to replace bushings and adjust door gaps. There is white filler used to fill birdcage to fender/clip gaps, the filler is cracking and with a little help falls out. See photo, Looks like this was factory installed to seal these gaps from water intrusion (any other purpose?) . I plan to remove any loose stuff (all it if I can) and replace. The question is what to replace it with? Thanks in advance for any help/comments. I'm on my third month of this 3 week prep job, My estimator and body work skills could use some refinement...
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

That is seam sealer.

Pick it out and you can use SEM beige seam sealer. That is what I use but ...to be truthful...I strip the entire jamb down and remove the hinges so I can epoxy prime the steel areas and THEN apply the seam sealer. This seam sealer is CATALYZED..so you can not joke around with it...but you can mold it rather nicely with a wet finger to get it right.....and it is obviously sand-able and paint-able.

BECAUSE...just out of view in your photo you posted...there is an area at the top of the hinge post area where the fiberglass and steel section of the pillar post join...and GM usually blends this are in rather poorly. So...with the SEM seam sealer..I make this transition very nice and smooth so the door weatherstrip seal against a surface that is more pleasing and not so messed up in regards to texture and imperfections...which can damage your weatherstrip rather quickly.

Do you still have my number..because if you want to call... you can.

DUB
Old 08-14-2015, 08:40 PM
BobG74
Advanced

Thanks DUB,

I'll replace the sealer with SEM, that will improve the look and seal bigtime. I would not have thought about the weatherstrip damage. I guess thats why this is taking so long every prep area requires more than I thought to complete. Thanks for the Dial up offer, I veiw ur number as a silver bullet only to be locked and loaded when absolutely necessary. Btw the tru flex front bumper is kicking my @## , so I ordered a fiberglass version from ecklers. I'm now getting a very good feel for what it takes to complete a vette. Looks like another two months of putting it back together after paint!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 PM
BobG74
Advanced

which one ?

Should I use the two part SEM?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

DUB uses a catalyzed SEM beige seam sealer. He also mentioned it in this thread.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SEM 29382 is a 1K ( single component) so it is NOT catalyzed.

SEM 39477 is a 2K (dual or two component) which IS catalyzed.

The SEM 39477 DOES require a special gun to dispense it....but it is a part of doing it right. SEM is a common product in many areas...and you might get lucky and stop by a bodyshop and see if a guy there has the gun you can rent for a day or two when you are ready. like use it over the weekend and get it to him on Monday.

Also..I would get a bag of intermix tips/tubes. Because ONLY 2 of these intermix tubes comes with the cartridge. This is so you can use it in other places in the future....or...maybe not get them...that is up to you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To What is the White Stuff (fills door to birdcage gaps)

Quick Reply: What is the White Stuff (fills door to birdcage gaps)