1981 Corvette bumper retainers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 PM
whitestreak3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Corvette bumper retainers

Hello all,
after tons of work, I just got my 81 vette back from painting. Time to get it all back together! I am, however, having a problem with the bumper retainers. When I took my bumpers off the car for paint, some of the spindles coming off of the retainer were accidentally broken off because of how rusty they were. Do I really have to pay $100+ for a complete new set of retainers? Is there anything else I could do on the cheap? As you can see from the pics, not all of the studs are broken off. Also, in order to remove the retainers off of the bumpers, I had to drill out some rivets. Where do I get more of those? Do I have to do anything/get anything special to replace those? Or can I just use my cheap pop rivet gun. Thanks for any and all help!
Attached Images   
Old 08-20-2015, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A copy from the post I answered earlier.

Originally Posted by whitestreak3
Hello all,
after tons of work, I just got my 81 vette back from painting. Time to get it all back together! I am, however, having a problem with the bumper retainers. When I took my bumpers off the car for paint, some of the spindles coming off of the retainer were accidentally broken off because of how rusty they were. Do I really have to pay $100+ for a complete new set of retainers?
NO

Is there anything else I could do on the cheap?
YES...I do it quite often on cars where judging is not an issue.

As you can see from the pics, not all of the spindles are broken off. Also, in order to remove the retainers off of the bumpers, I had to drill out some rivets. Where do I get more of those?
More of what???? Rivets...or the studs that broke off

Do I have to do anything/get anything special to replace those?
Replace what specifically. The rivets...or the studs.

Or can I just use my cheap pop rivet gun. Thanks for any and all help!
Yes...a pop rivet gun is needed to secure these retainers to the bumper cover.

I replace these studs quite often when they break on me. I go to the hardware store and buy 10-24 screws that are long enough and knock out the factory stud. Install a new stud and by using a nut to hold it in place.. I tack weld or even braze the stud to the retainer. Then remove the nut and it is done. NOW...I have done countless stud repairs on these type of retainers...so I know how the stud will be angled specifically to a specific retainer. But...regardless... I replace the studs.... and in 30 years...I honestly can not remember but one instance where I had to buy retainers...and it was due to really bad rust.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-20-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:49 PM
whitestreak3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, DUB
It looks like I should have been more specific. Where do I get more rivets for the retainers? Can I just go to my hardware shop or should I do I have to replace them with stock ones off of Corvette America or something like that.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks, DUB
It looks like I should have been more specific. Where do I get more rivets for the retainers? Can I just go to my hardware shop or should I do I have to replace them with stock ones off of Corvette America or something like that.
The pop rivets can come from any place you can find them. If I am not mistaken...they are 3/16 pop rivets with the large round head so it holds the urethane bumper well die to the increased surface are of the head of the rivet. I believe they are ALL aluminum....and not steel because you do not need them to be steel due to the amount of force it will require to collapse steel rivets and make them pop is much greater than needed.

BE careful and make sure your grip range is correct...so you do not have excessive amount of rivet shank when it is pulled.

I might be mistaken about the head size...being about the diameter of a dime....and...if in you town you can not find any...then you might have to order them if who sells them are the correct rivets.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Corvette bumper retainers

Quick Reply: 1981 Corvette bumper retainers