One piece front end recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One piece front end recommendations please

Good afternoon! I'm ready to order a one-piece HL front end for my '59, and would like your recommendations on which way I should go... The company I am using offers the front ends with or without the upper dash. I'm looking at this from a fit, ease of install perspective... Having no experience with this previously your opinion is extremely valuable to me.
I am leaning toward the front end with the upper dash, as it seems there will be less glass work required? Thanks a ton for your advice! -Ed
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Ed,

MY OPINION:

I would want the front clip WITH the dash panel. AND YES.....I can do some awesome fiberglass laminating and repairs....BUT....I could live with the added time in getting the front clip set and positioned and trade that time off for the time I would have to spend in laminating in the dash panel.

NOW...Knowing that this is going to be a one-piece hand-laid front clip...that can be another issue completely than that of a press-molded front clip. SO...when you go and begin to install this clip and get it set-up....you will need to be aware that either things will go relatively easy...so-to-speak....or turn into a 'cluster' due to very precise prepping and grinding of the new clip so it will fit and act like YOU need it to when you try to get it set correctly.

AS you know...press-molded panels are slick on the bonding side....hand laid is NOT....so carefully grinding and taking bonding areas at the cowl into account will come into play. NOT trying to put you into a mental state of confusion...just trying to get your head into the 'game'.

I am convinced...that if you apply yourself and you pay attention to what the body is telling you and what the clip is doing...you WILL get this. I HAVE NO DOUBT!!!! Remember it is only fiberglass. It can be cut, ground on, laminated and bonded in whatever configuration YOU see you need to do. SO...it will depend what it needs and IF you want to do what IT needs. THAT...is the million dollar question.

ALSO.....not picking a the company who is making this clip...but...I myself go around on front clips that are hand laid and I use the handle of a screwdriver and tap on all sharp edges and area where 90 degree bends are molded into the fiberglass. This is where an air pocket can HIDE...and show up when it gets out in the sun or months after you have it painted. ALSO....depending on the color of the gelcoat...you have can someone hold a really BRIGHT flood light on the panel from the outside and you look on the inside and see if you can find air pockets. I know what they look like...and it is hard to describe what to look for. The best way I can describe it is like how a plastic water bottle turned on its side ...how the air bubble in the bottle would look. Like I wrote...hard to describe but you can see then if they are large enough. AND...from my experiences...really light gelcoat may look good...but the laminater may miss a few air bubbles due to the white gelcoat when applied int eh mold does NOT show up an air bubble as easily as if the gelcoat was black. YES...the 'trained eye' of the laminater will know what to look for and get them out....so I AM NOT writing that parts that are made in lighter colored gelcoat are more problematic...because I am NOT.

DUB
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Dub, I could not have asked for a better, more thorough response (as always). Thank you! I sincerely appreciate ALL of the great advice and help you have given me along the way! More to come as well!! Thank you again! Ed
Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jedjr59restomd
Dub, I could not have asked for a better, more thorough response (as always). Thank you! I sincerely appreciate ALL of the great advice and help you have given me along the way! More to come as well!! Thank you again! Ed
My pleasure to help in any way.

PLEASE keep asking for information. AND if you get into a snag. DO NOT HESITATE to post a question. The last thing I want is for you to hit a snag and struggle and loose your motivation and enthusiasm.

I am not implying that you can not figure out problems on your own...and I realize it is your Corvette and you can do to it whatever you choose....but the truth of the matter is...my advice/experience of 30 years is FREE. YES...actually something today that is actually FREE. Imagine that!

YOU GOT THIS....and like I tell people.....it is a model car at a 1:1 scale.

DUB
Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Definitely appreciate that encouragement Dub! Presently, I'm waiting on new glass for the "rear valance", and the "rear lower trunk opening center panel" so I can get the rear of the car squared away first. The Front end will likely be my winter project. I figured that I'd better get it ordered now so I will have it by then . Once I get the rear completed (including GTS quarters), I'll pull the old front end, and start on the firewall "clean-up" & reinforcements for the hydraulic clutch (per your guidance). I'll then get the body off the rotisserie, and onto the frame before mounting/working the front end...

YES!!! FREE, and top notch advice/guidance! Man, you can't find that ANYWHERE! The Forum and guys like myself are extremely lucky to have guys like you who are willing to help out rookies like me!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Being a 'winter project' will actually be better. The colder temps will allow the adhesive to take a bit longer to set-up so you are not worried about the adhesive setting up before you get the panel on....versus doing this when it is 90+ degrees out.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To One piece front end recommendations please

Quick Reply: One piece front end recommendations please