Feedback on Corvette Image Press Moulded One Piece Front Clips

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:23 AM
us42586
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Corvette Image Press Moulded One Piece Front Clips

Hi,

I'd like some honest and recent feedback on Corvette Image press moulded front clips. I'm looking for the facts and experience from people that have used their products recently. It very well documented that they had problems with paint blistering back in late 90s and early 2000 years. They supposedly have corrected the problem which my understanding was related to the equipment they were using...it wasn't strong enough to press the moulds together?? not sure but what I heard.

has anyone personally used their products recently? if so, when? Have you had any problems? How do did you prepare the front clip? Gel coat it?

Feel free to send me a personal message if you don't want to comment on the forum.

I was planning to replace a blistered front clip on a midyear that had used a CI front clip from early 2000 era with a new one and I've heard some positive and negative feedback at Carlisle but nobody with recent facts about the quality of their products. I'm of the opinion the problem is fixed but don't want to run the risk of repeating the same problem. I also feel it's fair that if they have fixed the problem it be publicly known and documented by people that have recently used their products within the last several years.

thanks!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

*****PROFESSIONAL FEEDBACK*******

This response is partly a direct answer to your question, I do use Corvette Image fiberglass and I have NEVER had a problem ...regardless of the era of this 'problem' they had. I was never effected by it. Either I was lucky or my procedures that I employ did their job and made it so I had no problems.

I am NOT wanting to stir up a hornets nest...and by no means am I writing that people did not have problems...but for me...I use infra-red heaters to get the surface really hot..and I gelcoat the fiberglass. So...IF there were going to be an issue...I would have HOPEFULLY seen it before I began to apply any gelcoat. Then I get it hot again and see if any out-gassing or problems show up before I go and paint it. Sometimes the most important steps in a repair are often times overlooked and considered to be a pointless step and show up later. Because I have had FACTORY press-molded fiberglass have problems when it got heated up. YES...I can have days upon days of moving my infra-red heater to all the panels to make sure ALL is good.

Let me shed some light on this. I can tell you this from EXPERIENCE that ANY company that manufactures a product is TOTALLY at the mercy of the products they use to manufacture or fabricate that product they are selling. Steel, plastic, vinyl, resin or what ever it may be. Chances are ...they have a source that supplies this product to them. And it can happen that some times the supplier of the crude materials sends bad material...and it gets used and a problem occurs.

I have to TRUST the raw products that I use....and hope that they are fresh and do as they are designed to do. That is all I can do. I have run into bad products that for some reason or another were bad....even though they visually looked perfect. And yes...it gets me scared to try it again....but I have to.

And YOU CAN BET...and I honestly hope it does not happen too often....that the 'bean counters' doing inventory see 20 gallons of resin in the corner of the warehouse where it has been sitting for over a year because it got placed in the wrong ares of the warehouse and overlooked....so it froze or got really cold and then got really hot....so the 'bean counter' and others with the authority... re-package these 20 gallons of resin and send it out. The reason I wrote this...is because I was where should not have been one time at a packing facility and saw this occur. It was not resin that was being re-packaged...but what it was would make you 'wonder' why the BOTTOM LINE is the most important thing for some companies.

So...I personally... would be curious and have to cut and see where your blisters are coming from.

And honestly...if you talk with Corvette Image and discuss the 'problem'...hopefully they would be honest and let you know what they know and how it was corrected. BUT...then again...it could be a sore subject and in the past and not needing to be revisited. And then again...it could also be procedures were not followed which caused the problem....who knows.

DUB
Old 08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
us42586
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your opinion and feedback.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I used CI top surround, 1 front fender, 1 quarter panel and taillight panel in 2010. All parts were fine. Did not gel coat.

Get notified of new replies

To Feedback on Corvette Image Press Moulded One Piece Front Clips

Quick Reply: Feedback on Corvette Image Press Moulded One Piece Front Clips