Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Under hood paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:48 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Under hood paint ?

I currently have my t-tops and hood ready for "blackout" underneath.
I didn't completely strip the under sides, just light sand. My intentions was to spray a light coat of primer, then black. What would be the best type of primer for this application? I'm not trying to hide all of the fiberglass, just provide adhesion.

I would also like a recommendation for an OEM looking paint for blackout. I have used Eastwoods and it looks fairly close but I"m not completely satisfied with it. I also tried a Nason paint that the jobber flattened out, it is usually different with every batch!

Thanks, Kevin
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
I currently have my t-tops and hood ready for "blackout" underneath.
I didn't completely strip the under sides, just light sand. My intentions was to spray a light coat of primer, then black. What would be the best type of primer for this application? I'm not trying to hide all of the fiberglass, just provide adhesion.

I would also like a recommendation for an OEM looking paint for blackout. I have used Eastwoods and it looks fairly close but I"m not completely satisfied with it. I also tried a Nason paint that the jobber flattened out, it is usually different with every batch!

Thanks, Kevin
What year is your Corvette again??? There is another option...but I need to know what year it is.

Rattle can black paint that I use that looks good is from SEM....if that is what you mean by 'blackout paint'.

DUB
Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

My Vette is a 1971. Yes, I'm just looking for the OEM look under the hood and t-tops.

Kevin
Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks...are you trying to keep this factory perfect???

Meaning.... you want to see the texture in the press molded fiberglass???

Is the car factory A/C???

The reason I am asking...and not knowing how you feel about it. But on cars like yours. I actually strip the underside of the hood of paint and primer and apply black gelcoat. SO...any oil leaks from the A/C compressor does not have a chance to penetrate the fiberglass and cause the paint on the exterior to bubble...because I have also gelcoated the topside of the hood. Please understand I am doing this for people who may not do routing cleaning and forget. And the costs of repairing a bubbled up spot on the hood from oil...is not fun...and if I can avoid it....I will do what I can.

On a few Corvettes the underside of the hood was prepped ...primed ...sanded and then have a vinyl wrap applied where it can be replaced if needed and much easier to maintain.,..but these owners are not worried about it being judged and if it is factory perfect.....just close enough to not be obviously off.

DUB
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Yes, I'm not using gelcoat under the hood to let the texture show. I'm familiar with the compressor oil issue....most Vettes I have looked at or owned have an oil issue right over the compressor. Mine is very clean, no issues.

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Under hood paint ?

Quick Reply: Under hood paint ?