Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Primer question for my 86 C4

Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM
Ryhnoz60vette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Primer question for my 86 C4

Hi, My 86 coupe is almost ready for primer, and I was looking for advice on what's the right primer to use and the best brand. I want to use the correct and best primer. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

QUESTION 1:
Did you strip it all the way down to bare SMC???

QUESTION 2:
What have you done to the front and rear bumpers...in regards to prep???

QUESTION 3:
Not knowing at all what you have done....have you prepped the body and done work at all and what grit did you stop at????

Asking questions 'kinda blind' here.....because there is no correct answer to your question without knowing what has been done in a fairly detailed description.

Also.... I do not need to know exactly where you live...but at least knowing if you have access to paint would be great... because you can be over seas or out on a road that is traveled by 'Ice Road Truckers'. So even if a suggestion is given ( not knowing where you live as a generalization)...it also can be pointless if you can not get access to it.

DUB
Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Ryhnoz60vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for responding .
Ok I've sanded the body down to the factory black primer with 180 grit , I did break thru in some areas to bare SMC and I've done some repair work to some areas with evercoat SMC panel adhesive and 3M platinum plus body filler that says it has extreme adhesion to SMC. My rear bumper is a ZR1 replica fiberglass rear bumper and I haven't finished sanding my factory front bumper yet. And I live in Fort Worth Texas
Here's a picture of the car
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Ryhnoz60vette
Burning Brakes

Actually that's a older picture, since then I've sanded the rest of the body and molded in hood heat extractor vents and I have a greenwood cowl hood scoop in order that I'm going to mold into the stock hood. So yes I have some bare SMC. LOL
Old 09-18-2015, 08:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can use a epoxy primer to go on your bare SMC and factory primed areas. Then...depending on how well the body is...you can use a polyester primer on top of that.

PPG DP90LF will work for the epoxy primer.

****FREE ADVICE*****

Just be aware than when bonding on a hood scoop...they can crack in time due to the hood flexes and there is nothing you can do to stop that. And the crack will start at the back of the hood by the windshield area.

DUB
Old 09-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Ryhnoz60vette
Burning Brakes

Ok thank you for your time and advice. I appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To Primer question for my 86 C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primer question for my 86 C4