Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting Cast Aluminum LS-2 Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Default Painting Cast Aluminum LS-2 Oil Pan

We are building an LS-2 with the OEM cast aluminum oil pan. The engine will be installed in a show car and we would like to paint the pan black. The question is: Should the pan be primed with zink chromate primer before painting with a ceramic paint product (similar to caliper paint). Powder coating would require removing the oil pan from the engine and replacing all seals and gaskets. The pan does not need to be removed for any mechanical reason at this point and would rather not remove it if possible. Thoughts!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Painting aluminum usually requires cleaning it with a prepping solution to etch the aluminum. then...applying a primer that will stick....and then the paint.

All I can say is this. I am dealing with an LS oil pin where the orange paint is peeling off of it in sheets. NOW..I did not previously paint this peeling oil pan...but it is coming off. And for whatever it is worth... Getting it CLEAN as a whistle...is so important. And if it were me....even though I know this is fora show car...I would keep the paint film to the absolute minimum.

QUESTION:

Is the rest of the block/heads painted also??? ( just curious).

DUB
Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Painting aluminum usually requires cleaning it with a prepping solution to etch the aluminum. then...applying a primer that will stick....and then the paint.

All I can say is this. I am dealing with an LS oil pin where the orange paint is peeling off of it in sheets. NOW..I did not previously paint this peeling oil pan...but it is coming off. And for whatever it is worth... Getting it CLEAN as a whistle...is so important. And if it were me....even though I know this is fora show car...I would keep the paint film to the absolute minimum.

QUESTION:

Is the rest of the block/heads painted also??? ( just curious).

DUB
The heads and block are un-painted aluminum. The reason for the black oil pan is for the contrast against the polished and chrome parts on the undercarriage. I will check with my local Dupont Automotive Color dealer to see what they recommend for an etching primer. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Cast Aluminum LS-2 Oil Pan

Quick Reply: Painting Cast Aluminum LS-2 Oil Pan