Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Door lock cylinder removal

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock cylinder removal

I got a 78 with electric door locks and I am having one hell of a time removing the outside cyclinder. What the heck is the trick? I got the door handle out, took a while but I am ok with slow progress, this lock is killing me. I got the small c-clip off the end, then two wires off the shaft but the main clip isn't budging. I post this in the C3 General section but I'm really hoping to awake with an answer!!! Maybe I will dream one up but I'm counting on this forum.

Last edited by Rebuck33; 10-09-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebuck33
I got a 78 with electric door locks and I am having one hell of a time removing the outside cyclinder. What the heck is the trick? I got the door handle out, took a while but I am ok with slow progress, this lock is killing me. I got the small c-clip off the end, then two wires off the shaft but the main clip isn't budging. I post this in the C3 General section but I'm really hoping to awake with an answer!!! Maybe I will dream one up but I'm counting on this forum.
I got it. Couldn't sleep last night so I just stared at it for a while and that must have loosened it a little.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( if you care about the factory alarm function)

On the inside of the alarm system switch that was attached to the backside of the lock cylinder. There is a VERY SPECIFIC piece of plastic that MUST be IN this switch to make your alarm system work. Often times this piece of VERY THIN plastic will stay stuck to the lock cylinder shaft. And sometimes it will come off with the switch.

VERIFY that you still have this special piece of plastic in the switch. You will KNOW you have it because the center hole in this piece of plastic has a hole in the center of it the perfectly matches the unique shape to the lock cylinder shaft.

IF you have it...and it is still in the switch. When I am working on cars like yours with these switches. I put a sandwich bag over the end of this switch and tape it to it so the plastic does not get lost.

ALSO..I how you took a photo or noticed how that switch attached to the backside of the lock cylinder...beacsue it can ONLY go on one way and WORK correctly. It can go on in several positions...but ONLY ONE WAY works the alarm system.....if you are even worried about it working at all.

DUB
Old 10-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Thanks again for looking out for me DUB but now you have me scared. Attached is a pic of what I have and what I thought was there. It went lock cylinder, then retainer clip with a little plastic movable finger on it, then two wires moulded into a plastic round piece that goes into the space of the shaft, followed by the plastic washer shown in the pic and then a c-clip. Am I still missing something? I looked everywhere pretty good and didn't see anything else. Just wondering if me and the kids have to go on "hands and knees" patrol!
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When you look a the end of the switch that goes onto the lock cylinder. That end should have a small round piece of plastic in it with the center hole being exactly like the shaft of the lock cylinder so it can slide on

In your photo...it is hard to tell...but it looks like the OTHER end of the switch...where the metal pawl goes on....that ROUND large piece of plastic is actually a part of the switch and should NOT have easily come off. You will KNOW that it is NOT the piece I am talking about ...because the center hole is NOT keyed to EXACTLY fit the shaft of the lock cylinder.

The piece I am talking about is really thin and fragile. Could be a light yellow or light blue in color....possibly black

DUB
Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

We looked and looked and looked. Searched through the dust and the dirt, looked in the door, blew the door out. No luck! Anyone have an exploded view of this part or a pic of what I am looking for.

This must have worked at least somewhat cause when you turned the key you could hear a relay picking up. Not sure if that was for the door lock or alarm but I already had the metal lever removed from the cylinder that turns with the key. Dammit this will **** me off if I lost something!!!

Thanks again DUB for looking out for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Door lock cylinder removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder removal