Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

PPG DPC and PPG 2021 clear quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 PM
95s
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPG DPC and PPG 2021 clear quality?

I have a metallic gold car and the clear has lifted on it several times from previous paint work. Today I went a auto body shop here in Arlington, TX, Tran's auto body, and asked them what he used for base and clear because I've had terrible clear coat issues from other paint work several times on my car but I don't know what they used. Tran's said he uses PPG DPC and 2021 clear. I know there is more to it then just the materials but wanted to see if these were considered cheap or good quality products. Like I said the clear has lifted several times on my car and I want something that is good quality.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 AM
syco_cop
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It better be good quality as this is what I'm using on my car. FYI in primer, sealer, base, and clear and everything to go with it cost me $2200. At that price it should apply itself.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:47 AM
95s
Cruising

So that's pretty good stuff. Not one of those that u hear them say that's some pretty cheap base n clear. I'm trying to get my whole car painted bec of past clear coat issues from old paint work. Do u actually work in auto body business? I heard some of ppg stuff wasn't good
Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

there is nothing wrong with ppg . i still use ppg for color but no longer use their clear. there are some base colors that are good quality but a little cheaper. wanda is a good line as is rm . stay away from 2nd line stuff. omni , dimension and such . they are for collision and cover poorly .
Old 10-14-2015, 12:08 PM
95s
Cruising

So dpc and 2021 is not their cheap line? I know each brand has cheap lines so I just real worried bec of clear coat issues I've had and I also think it may because of the champaign gold which has pearl metallic in it on my 240sx

Originally Posted by porchdog
there is nothing wrong with ppg . i still use ppg for color but no longer use their clear. there are some base colors that are good quality but a little cheaper. wanda is a good line as is rm . stay away from 2nd line stuff. omni , dimension and such . they are for collision and cover poorly .
Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 95s
So dpc and 2021 is not their cheap line? I know each brand has cheap lines so I just real worried bec of clear coat issues I've had and I also think it may because of the champaign gold which has pearl metallic in it on my 240sx
The color of the paint has nothing to do with clearcoat peeling off of it.

Is is due to the paint and the clear are not cross-linking with each other....which can be due to incompatibility...or the clear went on long after the 'window' that the base has in it to allow the clear to cross-link to it. And ...due to not seeing the paint...it can also be due to poor prep and someone shot clear on unsanded-prepped paint/clear.

DUB
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 PM
95s
Cruising

Originally Posted by DUB
The color of the paint has nothing to do with clearcoat peeling off of it.

Is is due to the paint and the clear are not cross-linking with each other....which can be due to incompatibility...or the clear went on long after the 'window' that the base has in it to allow the clear to cross-link to it. And ...due to not seeing the paint...it can also be due to poor prep and someone shot clear on unsanded-prepped paint/clear.

DUB
Thanks for the information. I think the owner of the body shop said he strips down to the factory primer where there is previous body work and strip it down to the factory clear where there isn't. Is that normal or not?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 95s
Thanks for the information. I think the owner of the body shop said he strips down to the factory primer where there is previous body work and strip it down to the factory clear where there isn't. Is that normal or not?
'Normal'...Each shop has their way of doing work.

The point I do not get is that IF bodywork is done correctly...you can not tell. So...he must strip down areas that he feels are evidently repaired. Which can leave areas that are not prepped the same way.

So much of it depends on how much you are paying for. It DOES boil down to money...because ...MORE MONEY....MORE TIME spent on the car....or at least should be spent on it.

Because it is the small 'nooks and crannies' that often times do not get prepped correctly...and these areas can possibly cause for a problem in the future.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To PPG DPC and PPG 2021 clear quality?

Quick Reply: PPG DPC and PPG 2021 clear quality?