Gelcoat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
For you and others who may read this:

UHHHH...YES....Orange peel that is not removed...is still allowing UNPREPPED SURFACE to be primed on. A BIG NO-NO in my book! If it were in my shop...it gets sanded flat....NO EXCEPTIONS!

EVERY STAGE of prep ...regardless of what it is... in 99% of the cases ...must have NO shine to it when I go to the next stage or apply something on it. You did it to your VPA and body panels for a reason...make no mistake...now is not the time to not give it your all. AND if you do....if you pull it out in the sun and get tiny blisters or zits in you paint and then when you pull it in the shade they go away....then scratch your head and wonder why.

Only sanding down orange peel 50%...then you have 50% of SHINE SHOWING...which mean that it is NOT prepped...and how can you expect a MECHANICAL bond if it is not sanded.

Now...any body can do what they want. But...when you are at this stage of completion. But yet...you were so critical making sure all previous work was prepped properly. There should be no reason to start allowing adhesion issues to start to come into play. And if a person feels that 'little bit' won't matter.....then I am glad they have that much faith in it sticking. I have seen 'thing's that make me have a completely different perspective on this. As it has been written and spoken MANY TIMES....PREP IS EVERYTHING!!!!!! ...and it is NO joke.

DUB
Thanks DUB, I didn't even think of the non flat section not being "scratch" ready for the Sandslick. Good call. I asked because I did completly flatten the GC on my 67 before Sandslick, I still have to do the 69 which is still sitting in GC. I'LL make sure to get all OP out before the Slicksand. Regards, Fred
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Thanks DUB, I didn't even think of the non flat section not being "scratch" ready for the Sandslick. Good call. I asked because I did completly flatten the GC on my 67 before Sandslick, I still have to do the 69 which is still sitting in GC. I'LL make sure to get all OP out before the Slicksand. Regards, Fred
No need to allow 'Murphy' to get into the paint job.

AS I hope you I do not yell at people when I type. All large or bold text is to emphasize the importance of what I am writing.

DUB
Old 10-20-2015, 10:09 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I think I'm back on track and getting my gelcoat process down. I still a little mystified by the tacky feel by quickly wiping down the sanded gelcoat, I noticed it happen ONLY in areas where the gelcoat was sanded very thin, not in the thick areas. Regardless, I won't be running into this again.

The real jewel is the VPA profiling and sanding looks really good. By shooting the hood with gelcoat I have a really good idea how I need "profile" or sand the VPA.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Gelcoat question