Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Respray after base coat clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Crackin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray after base coat clearcoat

I stripped my 79 body down to the glass. Sprayed multiple times with slicksand and block sanded. Used the coating store products. Sealed 3 coats, 4 coats of base, and 3 coats of clear. Looked great in the booth. Took outside and noticed a few stripes. Can I sand the clear and respray base and clear or do I have to seal again
Thanks Mark

Last edited by Crackin; 10-30-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackin
I stripped my 79 body down to the glass. Sprayed multiple times with slicksand and block sanded. Used the coating store products. Sealed 3 coats, 4 coats of base, and 3 coats of clear. Looked great in the booth. Took outside and noticed a few stripes. Can I sand the clear and respray base and clear or do I have to seal again
Thanks Mark
NOT knowing ACTUALLY what you shot on it because you are not being specific....other that 'saying' that you used 'Slicksand ' on it...

I would recommend you call the paint manufacturer of the paint and clear you used and ask then their recommendations.

It IS possible that the clear may need to cure a little bit ...and then again....depending on the paint manufacturer...it may not.

GENERALLY...you do not need to seal it again. Prep the clear and shoot your basecoat and then the clear. And IF your clear has a hardener in it...you would want to CLEAR the ENTIRE panel that you are shooting and NOT stop the clear somewhere...and let it blend out...because it WILL leave a line that WILL show up in time. UNLESS you have serious good taping skills. There are ONLY a few panels I can do this 'taping trick' to on your type of Corvette and NOT have a clear lien show up.

DUB
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Crackin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dub I'll call them.

Get notified of new replies

To Respray after base coat clearcoat

Quick Reply: Respray after base coat clearcoat