Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Convertible hard top trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 PM
gmshadow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible hard top trim

I need to paint my hardtop (1990) and the top edge trim appears to be pressed on, or possibly glued on, as find no fasteners holding it . What is the best way to remove it and reinstall after top painted with out damaging it as I'm sure is not available anymore.
Thank You

Last edited by gmshadow; 11-06-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: add to description
Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gmshadow
I need to paint my hardtop (1990) and the top edge trim appears to be pressed on, or possibly glued on, as find no fasteners holding it . What is the best way to remove it and reinstall after top painted with out damaging it as I'm sure is not available anymore.
Thank You
MY method is that I use the side of a wood paint stick and hammer. I place the paint stick long ways along the top edge of the trim where it meets the paint and still having enough paint stick to hold firmly..and start at the end of the trim and begin tapping on the wood paint stick...and I AM NOT BEATING IT TO DEATH...and I will see that the trim beings to slowly come off....I go to the other side and do the same...then work my way around to the front and it comes off.

Getting it back on I use one of my rubber hammers and tap it back on after getting it positioned and just reverse the procedure (and NOT USING A PAINT STICK at this time)...I just tap it back on the way I removed it.

The paint can be damaged if it is not dry enough or if you really apply a lot of clear due to the inherent pressure this molding trim applied when installed.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
gmshadow (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 06:42 PM
gmshadow
Heel & Toe

Thanks, will give that a try tonight, Just makes the job easier if can get it off without damage.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks, will give that a try tonight, Just makes the job easier if can get it off without damage.
....BUT....getting it back on without damaging your fresh paint....that is where the begins and all the FUN!

DUB
Old 11-08-2015, 05:33 PM
gmshadow
Heel & Toe

Came off pretty easy, and have a BIG rubber hammer to put it back on with, Will give paint plenty of time to harden before put it all back together. Want to pull the window out too, but can't seem to find the molding and it looks to be pretty hard after 25 years . Appears to have been repainted once and trim and seals were not removed. Was painted with a single stage enamel it looks like as no clearcoat on it, and is not lacquer. Went from Ruby red to a bright yellow . Bright Yellow and Blue Steel just don't get along together
Old 11-08-2015, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

It has been a while since I have worked on painting a 1986-1996 hard top for a convertible.

I would...IF I had TO...use a heat gun from a distance as see if I warmed up the plastic trim around the back glass if it would cooperate and move. IF I could get it to come up some....that is when I would use the 3M tape with the hard plastic edging on it so I could go under the plastic molding and lift it up so I could get paint under it....without having to remove the entire back glass and possibly damage the molding and not find one to replace it. I have some of this tape at my shop but do not know the part number right of the top of my head.

DUB
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 PM
gmshadow
Heel & Toe

I am not familiar with that type of tape. A part number be helpfull , or where I can get some. I live in the sticks, so would need to get it online.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am not familiar with that type of tape. A part number be helpfull , or where I can get some. I live in the sticks, so would need to get it online.
YES..it will be an online purchase...OR better yet...the place that you are getting your paint from SHOULD know about it.

DUB
Old 11-08-2015, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

This is the stuff.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...294924366&rt=d

DUB
The following users liked this post:
gmshadow (11-08-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible hard top trim