Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How will/should this go down? Burnt through clear coat.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How will/should this go down? Burnt through clear coat.

I posted my issue in Car Care Discussion here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590871517

Long story short, I burnt through the clear coat while buffing my C5 Z06.
I burnt a small spot between the rear window and the trunk.

I called "Professional Collision" in Lynnwood Wa, (Whom Ive used a couple time before, they did really good work) and was told generally the cost is $500-$600 to repaint and coat a panel with damage like mine.

I don't know anything about auto body but i thought it would be more than that seeing as how they'd have to blend all the panels around the damaged area. In my case, that's the quarter panels, trunk, maybe the bumper and doors, roof?

I feel the cost should be more than what I was quoted.

I then spoke with a coworker who was a long time body guy. He told me it'd probably be more like $2k because I'd have to take everything apart like I mentioned above.

So I would like more input. I can't drive the car to the body shop now because I have to finish the detail. Plus the shop is booked through the year.

Any thoughts? Advise? Wisdom or knowledge?

I hate that this happened and $2k makes me wonder about other options I may have.

Thank you in advance for any of your time. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have had this happen to me from time to time. AND the 'blessing' for you is that it is a solid color and NOT a metallic/pearl color.

SO...if you can take water and wet out this area and you can not see where you burned through...and the red color is not showing any signs of being lighter or darker...then the panel can be prepped and cleared again.

QUESTION: IS this factory paint you are buffing/polishing on????

DUB

Being right on the edge...if this shop you chose is that good...then even if they had to do a very light touch-up...they can do this by blowing the paint off the edge due to the spot is so small. An experienced painter would know all about this.....SO...the entire panel DOES NOT need to be painted red again.

When you are checking the panel by having running water on the spot or using a soaked CLEAN towel...check it if you can outside in the sun....then check it inside.

I ..myself....could NOT in a clear conscience... charge you to blend into the adjacent panel due to it being such a small spot.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

It is factory paint, thank goodness!
Thank you so much for your reply. I will soak the spot and see what I come up with.

Lets say after soaking, I still see the spot and need to take it in.
If they feel they don't need to paint and blend the panel and surrounding areas, I would be saving money from product and labor?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by FruiTay
It is factory paint, thank goodness!
Thank you so much for your reply. I will soak the spot and see what I come up with.

Lets say after soaking, I still see the spot and need to take it in.
If they feel they don't need to paint and blend the panel and surrounding areas, I would be saving money from product and labor?
What panel is this actually on????It does make a difference....Your photo just shows the spot and not the full panel.

DUB
Old 11-10-2015, 06:24 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

The spot is between the trunk and rear window. That orange tape is the gap of the rear of the trunk. It's towards the drivers side.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

The actual location is not important at this time. I still do not know what actual panel this burn spot is on....So is this burn spot is on the trunk lid???

DUB
Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
The actual location is not important at this time. I still do not know what actual panel this burn spot is on....So is this burn spot is on the trunk lid???

DUB
Thank you for you patience. It is just behind the trunk lid here, I don't know the name of that panel:

Last edited by FruiTay; 11-10-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

THANKS...that si what I needed.

The panel that this burn spot is on is the panel that will need to be prepped and clear coated or touched up with red and then clear coated.

So...dealing with the molding trim for the rear glass and any other items that touch the red paint...the shop will have to contend with.

If they can keep their work to just this panel...it will effect the costs...and keep them down...obviously.

DUB
Old 11-10-2015, 09:00 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Thank you for your time, DUB! I really appreciate your input. I hope the shop can keep it down to the one panel but I'll do what it takes to make it right again.

Take care!

Get notified of new replies

To How will/should this go down? Burnt through clear coat.

Quick Reply: How will/should this go down? Burnt through clear coat.