Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C7 front splitter paint damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Default C7 front splitter paint damage

I painted my C7 front splitter with automotive vinyl paint made for urethane. I must have hit something and now the paint has flacked off at the point of impact. Painting was a mistake. What do I use to remove all the paint and leave the urethane looking natural (black)? A new splitter is $100.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:19 AM
theory816
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black might not be the splitters natural color but the color of a primer. If your splitter didnt come presprayed with a primer, it may be the reason why your paint chipped or its the type of paint you used. I sprayed painted my whole front bumper on my daily with the right products and that thing is gonna last for years.

These are the layers of a cars body part:

1.Urethane or whatever type the plastic is.
2.Layer of primer for the base coat.
3.Base coat color.
4.Clear top coat.

I believe body shops uses a paint stripper which they spread out over a body part and you have to scrape everything off.

You can call a body shop and ask them what they do or just stop by with your piece and ask them what they do. Im sure they would help you out.

Last edited by theory816; 11-14-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
I painted my C7 front splitter with automotive vinyl paint made for urethane. I must have hit something and now the paint has flacked off at the point of impact. Painting was a mistake. What do I use to remove all the paint and leave the urethane looking natural (black)? A new splitter is $100.
Not knowing what you used on it makes it hard to tell you how to remove the paint you applied. Was it an aerosol paint or a catalyzes paint??? Did you clearcoat it and IF SO...was it a aerosol can clear or clear you had to catalyze also??

Not knowing what you did to the part PRIOR to shooting on it what you shot on it ALSO makes it hard to tell you what to do.

Not knowing the urethane part was raw or primed...before you shot it also make sit hard to tell you.

There are chemical strippers for urethane but they can cause the urethane to swell and it may take few days for this effect to go away...but not knowing what you are wanting or expecting...that again...is hard to tell you to do that.

Without photo's...it is hard to tell you to just go in with wet sand paper and sand it off....or even take an air hose and blower and blow the stuff off...because if it flaked off....then it did not stick and it might blow off with high air pressure.

DUB
Old 11-14-2015, 10:56 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks to all. I used a single stage paint with a hardener from NAPA. Before painting I sprayed a flexible grey primer from a can. Bad parking on my part. Paint stripper, acetone - methylene chloride type, is tough on plastic so I may just get a new splitter and fix this one shown later.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:00 AM
theory816
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol body work is a pain in the butt. The amount that body shops charge to fix something is definitely justifiable

Get notified of new replies

To C7 front splitter paint damage

Quick Reply: C7 front splitter paint damage