C1 Hood repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts
Default C1 Hood repair

The inner frame of my 55 hood is beginning to delaminate from the outer skin (not sure if this is correct terminology) around the area of the hinge. In addition, there are cracks directly surrounding the area where the hinge is bolted to the hood. The delamination is about 8 to 10 inches long.

What repair method would you recommend to reinforce this area?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 05:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Better photos will be needed.

The hood will have to come off.

Without knowing any the specifics about the condition of the exterior paint, etc. It will depend on how far apart the delamiantion can be spread apart...to it can be prepped and adhesive injected into this area.

It MAY ALSO require separating it further...so you can get in and prep the bonding surfaces...which is why I mentioned the condition of the exterior paint.

Can not comment on the 'cracks'..because I can not see them. I have to be able to see EXACTLY what you see when you take the photos ...or this is pointless.

DUB
Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB

Without knowing any the specifics about the condition of the exterior paint, etc. It will depend on how far apart the delamiantion can be spread apart...to it can be prepped and adhesive injected into this area.

It MAY ALSO require separating it further...so you can get in and prep the bonding surfaces...which is why I mentioned the condition of the exterior paint.

Can not comment on the 'cracks'..because I can not see them. I have to be able to see EXACTLY what you see when you take the photos ...or this is pointless.

DUB
OK. I will take better photos and post them.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
I have attached a link to a video of the drivers side hinge area that I think clearly shows the area. The passenger side is not nearly as bad but just starting to fail right around the hinge. Thanks for your help

Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

From what I could see...it appears that there was previous damage to the left hinge area and it had been repaired. I can see how the 'flow' or shape of the under structure is not perfect. ....and I bet if that paint is removed to do an inspection...you will more than likely find a repair.

ALSO...if you look at on the passenger side of the hood hinge area...how the under structure is bonded and the panel is clean and the under structure is bonded and is very tight to the underside of the hood panel itself.

When you look at the drivers side...you can see that the under structure has MUCH MORE adhesive to where the hood skin bonds to it...it is much thicker than the passenger side.

Not knowing what you wan to do and how far you are willing to take this repair to fix it once and for all. This repair can be a bit FUN......and if EXTREME CARE is not taken...the possibility of damaging the outside hood paint IS POSSIBLE. NOT 'saying' that you will damage to the paint on the outside of the hood...but if CARE is not taken...then it can happen. Painting will be required...because if my memory serves me correctly.....the under structure bond to the hood skin and they create the thickness of the hood at its perimeter......which means that this may get effected and will require painting....at least the underside edge.

SO...if you are looking for a 'Band-Aid' fix ( which as you know CAN come back and you are dealing with it again) or doing a repair that will hold up...that is up to you.

DUB
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
From what I could see...it appears that there was previous damage to the left hinge area and it had been repaired. I can see how the 'flow' or shape of the under structure is not perfect. ....and I bet if that paint is removed to do an inspection...you will more than likely find a repair.

ALSO...if you look at on the passenger side of the hood hinge area...how the under structure is bonded and the panel is clean and the under structure is bonded and is very tight to the underside of the hood panel itself.

When you look at the drivers side...you can see that the under structure has MUCH MORE adhesive to where the hood skin bonds to it...it is much thicker than the passenger side.

Not knowing what you wan to do and how far you are willing to take this repair to fix it once and for all. This repair can be a bit FUN......and if EXTREME CARE is not taken...the possibility of damaging the outside hood paint IS POSSIBLE. NOT 'saying' that you will damage to the paint on the outside of the hood...but if CARE is not taken...then it can happen. Painting will be required...because if my memory serves me correctly.....the under structure bond to the hood skin and they create the thickness of the hood at its perimeter......which means that this may get effected and will require painting....at least the underside edge.

SO...if you are looking for a 'Band-Aid' fix ( which as you know CAN come back and you are dealing with it again) or doing a repair that will hold up...that is up to you.

DUB
Thanks for your evaluation. I would like to do the repair right and move on. There are some other hood issues such as gaps that I will need to address ar some point. I'm not overly concerned if I need to repaint the hood. My plan on this frame on restoration is to complete the mechanical work then finish with body and paint. In the meantime, I would like to repair the hood hinge area, as this is a frequent area of stress each time I raise and lower it. I hope this clarifies things. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...if you are wanting to repair the hood along with you doing your mechanical repairs. that is up to you.

Knowing that you are going to be doing the repair ( I assume)...keep in mind that a new press molded hood goes for +/- $1000.

AS mentioned...the hood needs to come off and be set on a support stands that satisfy you in regards to padding to protect paint, etc.

We can start there...and it is more than likely that I will PM you so I can get you my shop phone number and talk you through some of the steps.

DUB
Old 11-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...if you are wanting to repair the hood along with you doing your mechanical repairs. that is up to you.

Knowing that you are going to be doing the repair ( I assume)...keep in mind that a new press molded hood goes for +/- $1000.

AS mentioned...the hood needs to come off and be set on a support stands that satisfy you in regards to padding to protect paint, etc.

We can start there...and it is more than likely that I will PM you so I can get you my shop phone number and talk you through some of the steps.

DUB
OK. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Hood repair

Quick Reply: C1 Hood repair