Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Spot Clearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Supraman45
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Spot Clearing

I realize that this is a Corvette Forum, but I have a basic paint question. I have a 1997 Toyota Supra. The paint is original except that a friend told me recently that some painting had been done in the past. I bought the car with 1500 miles from the original selling Toyota dealer in 97, and have done nothing to the body panels (OK, there was that time I backed into my Sister-in-Law's car and had to replace/repaint the rear bumper cover!!!). Obviously, there was some painting done before I bought it.

My question is - I had a friend buff out the paint recently and he noted a spot on the rear fender, where the roof panel meets the fender, where someone has rubbed through the clear. Is it possible to re-clear this area or the entire fender to protect the rub-through? Is this even necessary?

Even though the car is 17 years old, the paint looks great, and I certainly don't need to repaint the whole car.

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman45
I realize that this is a Corvette Forum, but I have a basic paint question. I have a 1997 Toyota Supra. The paint is original except that a friend told me recently that some painting had been done in the past. I bought the car with 1500 miles from the original selling Toyota dealer in 97, and have done nothing to the body panels (OK, there was that time I backed into my Sister-in-Law's car and had to replace/repaint the rear bumper cover!!!). Obviously, there was some painting done before I bought it.

My question is - I had a friend buff out the paint recently and he noted a spot on the rear fender, where the roof panel meets the fender, where someone has rubbed through the clear. Is it possible to re-clear this area or the entire fender to protect the rub-through? Is this even necessary?

Even though the car is 17 years old, the paint looks great, and I certainly don't need to repaint the whole car.

Thanks for the input!
Not knowing anything about the COLOR and if it is METALLIC or a SOLID color.

If your run water over this spot and you can still see a disturbance in the paint....then it will need to be blended and cleared out. IF you DO NOT see a disturbance of ANY kind...then it is possible to apply clear....BUT....when you prep this paint for 'possible' clear....there is a HIGH chance that you will disturb the paint during the prepping stage and cause it to be painted.

'Spot-clearing' in this area is going to show up where the clear layers ends. SO...it is best to clear the entire panel...OR.... if the panel has a defined feature line in it...use that line a as 'breaking point' where the clear can stop and yet NOT show the edge of the clear where it stops on the EDGE...if done correctly.

Keep in mind that this car from the factory DID NOT have a lot of clear on it. So...when it is being buffed out...there can be a HIGH CHANCE.... that in time....the clearcoat will begin to dull out and die-back....which basically means that the thickness of the clear coat is not great enough to fight against the UV's of the sun.

IF this occurs...it IS the beginning of the end of the life of the clearcoat...and all the polishing and applying glazes and waxes is NOT going to stop the clear from failing FASTER each time AFTER something has been applied to it to try to 'save' it.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-24-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Supraman45
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

DUB - Thanks for the input! I understand exactly what you are saying and will act accordingly. I realize it's "only a Supra" and not worth a lot, but it still looks good and is paid for! I have no intentions of selling and at some point, will have to consider painting, but not now. I am about to retire, so I don't need to buy anything, plus, it has been a great car for me.

By the way, I have to compliment you on the advice you give everyone who asks through the forum! I always read the posts and your advice/comments, even though i will never need the info - it is so interesting to read and learn. You do a great service!

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited by Supraman45; 11-25-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spot Clearing

Quick Reply: Spot Clearing