Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help top scratched

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Help top scratched

I have a new C7 and noticed a scratch on the outside of clear top. The scratch can not be felt with fingernail. Tried to buff out, but no luck.

Need help fixing this as I'm a little **** about it and it's driving me nuts.
I know there's lot of smart people on here that can help.
Is the top laminated or coated? If not can I use 1000-2000 grit sand paper and then buff out?

Please don't answer if you just think you know. I'm looking for paint and body guys that know for sure and have fixed scratches in these tops before. There seems to people that just want give opinions without any experience at all.

Thanks for the help.
Dillard
Old 12-05-2015, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The acrylic top DOES have a scratch resistant coating on it. Sanding through it to buff out this scratch will cause the acrylic to dull out EVEN after it has been polished.

If you are concerned about trying to repair the scratch . All I can think of us using some of SEM's aerosol UV clear coating that you spray on the lenses of headlights which is CURED by UV light....and fill in the scratch and sand it lightly till it is flat...and polish it. That is all I got on this. Chances are of you look really hard you will see it....BUT...then maybe again it will be so minor it does not bother you.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
dprestidge (12-05-2015)

Quick Reply: Help top scratched