Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

body stripped

Old 01-24-2016, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Aircraft strip does not take off the factory lacquer primer, so what you have is expected. DUB is 100% correct, you are not done stripping. The way we got the primer off mine was with brown scotchbrite and liberal amounts of lacquer thinner. Pour the thinner into a bowl or bucket, dip the scotchbrite in it and keep the panel very wet.
100%. In the photos posted of how the Corvette has not been 100% stripped of all primer....I AGREE!!! lacquer thinner and scrubbing.

But I might add that even though the Aircraft stripper does not take the primer off...what I have found that when I am stripping a car like this is that I will LIGHTLY re-apply the Aircraft Stripper back on the primer and allow it to sit for a little bit of time....them take my ROUGH steel wool or red Scotch-brite pads and SCRUB while the Aircraft Stripper is on the panel. When I see it is getting gooey...I scrape it off with a bondo spreader and THEN with CLEAN AUTOMOTIVE GRADE lacquer thinner....and A FRESH PIECE of steel wool or red Scotch-brite pad..I then go back over the area I just scrubbed and keep doing it until the primer is gone.

Using strictly lacquer thinner as 'zwede' mentioned or the method I wrote about WILL give the same end result. BUT.....SO MUCH OF IT depends on how well it gets stripped down to the factory primer.

KEEP IN MIND...I do this a lot and I do not leave an area of stripping until it is stripped. SO...all my residue and run-off is running down onto an UN-STRIPPED panel....OR...I am keeping an 'eye on it' and NOT allowing any thing to get away from me. Keep in mind GRAVITY and how liquids will run down a panel.

AS you can see how the primer has been removed in some areas and not others. During the initial stripping process I would carefully apply the stripper to ONLY where I need it to go and NOT brush it across the entire panel....BECAUSE you are applying it on RAW SMC. NOT a bad thing...just NOT A GOOD THING and is inadvisable to suggest to people who are learning on what to do.

Eitehr way...no major deal here...it can be removed.

Originally Posted by zwede
I like the hand held media blaster....they are priceless in some areas. I could not live without mine.

DUB
Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
100%. In the photos posted of how the Corvette has not been 100% stripped of all primer....I AGREE!!! lacquer thinner and scrubbing.

But I might add that even though the Aircraft stripper does not take the primer off...what I have found that when I am stripping a car like this is that I will LIGHTLY re-apply the Aircraft Stripper back on the primer and allow it to sit for a little bit of time....them take my ROUGH steel wool or red Scotch-brite pads and SCRUB while the Aircraft Stripper is on the panel. When I see it is getting gooey...I scrape it off with a bondo spreader and THEN with CLEAN AUTOMOTIVE GRADE lacquer thinner....and A FRESH PIECE of steel wool or red Scotch-brite pad..I then go back over the area I just scrubbed and keep doing it until the primer is gone.

Using strictly lacquer thinner as 'zwede' mentioned or the method I wrote about WILL give the same end result. BUT.....SO MUCH OF IT depends on how well it gets stripped down to the factory primer.

KEEP IN MIND...I do this a lot and I do not leave an area of stripping until it is stripped. SO...all my residue and run-off is running down onto an UN-STRIPPED panel....OR...I am keeping an 'eye on it' and NOT allowing any thing to get away from me. Keep in mind GRAVITY and how liquids will run down a panel.

AS you can see how the primer has been removed in some areas and not others. During the initial stripping process I would carefully apply the stripper to ONLY where I need it to go and NOT brush it across the entire panel....BECAUSE you are applying it on RAW SMC. NOT a bad thing...just NOT A GOOD THING and is inadvisable to suggest to people who are learning on what to do.

Eitehr way...no major deal here...it can be removed.

I like the hand held media blaster....they are priceless in some areas. I could not live without mine.

DUB
Took your advise and my son and I spent another weekend and this is the result.
THANKS!

Done!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Much better!
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not YEAH.....but HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with 'zwede'.....MUCH BETTER!!!!!

My eyes are squinting like crazy looking for the tight areas that can come back and BITE YOU if the paint/primer has not been removed....and from what I can see in the photo. The detail of stripping around the rivets in the front edge of the top hood surround behind where the front bumper goes LOOK GREAT....and the side marker light pocket looks GREAT!

MAJOR

DUB
71frameoff (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 05:57 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a lot of time in nooks and cranies as well as around rivets. applied stripper multiple times until it was right and did not cut corners. I will look at again now that I have a day of rest and not tired of working on it and correct every last speck.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
I spent a lot of time in nooks and cranies as well as around rivets. applied stripper multiple times until it was right and did not cut corners. I will look at again now that I have a day of rest and not tired of working on it and correct every last speck.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL! Either you employ it...or you don't. Seems like you are paying attention to DETAIL !

YES...making a JOB out of it like I do...which is NOT a bad thing.....can sometimes take the FUN out of it or at least the enjoyment of doing this project. Giving it a 'rest' sometimes recharges the 'batteries' ad makes getting back to it NOT seem like getting your teeth pulled.

DUB
chucksingh (02-02-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: body stripped