Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Protecting Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:49 AM
smokn08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting Paint Job

So my Corvette Club is going to be in a Mardi Gras parade and we have been asked to 'decorate' our cars. My question is, what should I use as an adhesive, like for signs, etc. that will not harm my cars finish when I remove them after the parade?

I have been told to try blue painters tape and or magnetic strip tape. Just wondering what you guys have done or is this just a big fat "No No".
Old 01-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Man, I will go with painters tape, I used it before for detailing or working on some areas of my car without a problem. Just don't wait a week to peel it off, specially if the cars is gonna be park under the sun. (Rubbing alcohol and a good wash will clean any residue, if that). I don't think the mag. strip will work, the whole car is plastic and fiberglass. Good luck and have fun at Mardi, post some pics of the festival.
The following users liked this post:
smokn08 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 04:11 PM
smokn08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistrezz 06
Man, I will go with painters tape, I used it before for detailing or working on some areas of my car without a problem. Just don't wait a week to peel it off, specially if the cars is gonna be park under the sun. (Rubbing alcohol and a good wash will clean any residue, if that). I don't think the mag. strip will work, the whole car is plastic and fiberglass. Good luck and have fun at Mardi, post some pics of the festival.

Thanks Mistrezz. I called my paint and body guy (kind of sad that I have a personal paint and body guy) and asked him what he would do. He also confirmed that the magnetic tape would probably not be the best idea and said the best would be 3M painters tape. he even agreed to give me a roll to use. You just can't beat personal service. I will post some pics next week to show you the fun.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

JUST do not let the blue tape (or any masking tape) get wet and then DRY OUT....or you might regret it.

DUB
Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by smokn08
Thanks Mistrezz. I called my paint and body guy (kind of sad that I have a personal paint and body guy) and asked him what he would do. He also confirmed that the magnetic tape would probably not be the best idea and said the best would be 3M painters tape. he even agreed to give me a roll to use. You just can't beat personal service. I will post some pics next week to show you the fun.
Smokn, I rather have a paint/body guy than a hairdresser, lol. Glad u got that out of your skin, have fun bro !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Protecting Paint Job

Quick Reply: Protecting Paint Job