Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

PPG Waterborne Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:00 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Default PPG Waterborne Paint Question

I am just about ready to put color on my 65 and I am trying to decide on which type of paint to use. I am committed to PPG products since I used their stuff for the primer etc. When I look at their website, they seem to have a couple of choices. Can anyone, like DUB, recommend which PPG paint would be the best. I am painting the car red, so there is no metallic.

Thanks,

Docf
Old 01-21-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you are wanting to use PPG's waterborne paint....then I believe it is the Envirobase.

AND ...just to let you know...you can use another brand of waterborne paint if it is available in your area.....and it is SOLD where PPG is sold and it is the NEXA AQUABASE...and YES...applying sealer on what you have will work just fine...so being 'married' to PPG ...is entirely up to you. I cross switch products all the time and never have a problem...but do as you feel you need to do.

And despite what anyone may tell you ...THERE IS A DIFFERENCE in these two waterbased paints (Envirobase and Aquabase). I would shoot NEXA AQUABSE and not think twice. And you may find that the paint shop will not really push it...it is all about keeping PPG's brand what it is...and ICI is a MAJOR paint company..which is why the name changed...kinda like a FORD and CHEVROLET new cars both being sold out of one dealership...kinda does not happen.

Repeat...they are not the same....regardless what some people say....PPG bought the rights to selll ICI AUTOCOLR in North America...and in doing so they got the technology of ICI's waterborn paint...which was light years ahead of any other companies (PPG included)...which the why it is NOW call NEXA...but the waterborne paint is still called AQUABASE...just like it was when it was ICI AUTOCOLOR.

I am assuming that you have to use water based paint due to being in a California??? Because if I knew what color you were planning on shooting...and IF you can shoot a solvent based basecoat...then I could recommend other paints....but you did start this thread off using 'Waterborne'.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/products.aspx

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refini.../Aquabase-Plus

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-21-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Thank you DUB, I appreciate the advice. Funny thing, my initial question came up because I was looking at the PPG website and reading about waterborne paints. The site listed both of the paints that you are talking about and I was confused as to which would be the better choice. As for using waterborne paint, I can get solvent based where I am. I was looking into the water based types because the painter that I am thinking of using said that it was better. I was planning on using solvent based paint until he said that. He said that it was easy to use and it gives great results. I have sprayed waterborne paint on a lot of motorcycles, but I don't feel confident enough to paint a car, much less one that I have spent two years restoring. I guess that I should talk with a few other painters before I decide.

Thanks again,

Doc
Old 01-22-2016, 11:51 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

OK, now I am more confused than ever. I stopped by a couple of local shops that I knew were friendly and asked about solvent based vs water based paints. As you might guess, the answer depends on who you ask. What I would like to learn about is why one form is better or worse than the other. What is the advantage of water based paint other than saving the world?

Thanks,

Doc
Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...you WILL get mixed reviews from painters. Some just can not grasp it and feel that any slight change in doing ANYTHING is such a big inconvenience to THEM.

Human beings are creature of HABIT. Not my opinion...but rather fact.

QUESTION: Did you like using water based paints when doing motorcycles???

I guess if I had to give you an answer on which one is best....well if you want to use the MAIN DIFFERENCE in them...SOLVENTS ...or LACK of solvents. I would say the waterbased paint is better due to taking the possibility of solvents effecting anything.

When I was in a tech certification school learning about and shooting the Aquabase years ago....the class also wondered of it was any good...and the tech guy said..."Have you ever painted a house with latex paint and got some on the bricks and let it dry? Well...how hard was it to get it off the brick when it dried?"

The automotive factories are using water based paints currently if I am not mistaken....and I have not seen any issues with then in a long time.

ALSO...NEXA has waterbased clearcoat. I saw a video on the NET when they painted BMW...but can not find it. Europe uses waterbsaed paint..and they do not seem to have an issue.

SO it will be up to you...because SOME people still swear by lacquer...some swear by single stage acrylic enamel....and so on.

I can say that shooting water based paint is different...in regards to having the correct drying equipment...which in itself...is where many painters get all pissy and do not want to change their procedure. AND...OH MY GOSH...having to actually use a viscosity cup just gets some painters I know into frenzy.

DUB
Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Thanks again DUB, you are always a big help. When I used the water based paint on motorcycles, I did have to adjust to it. The prep was a bit different and the spraying was a bit different. After I used it once, I found it to be no problem. I don't have the skill to shoot my car, but I trust the guy that I have been talking with. He did make a good point that water based paint will make life easier in California if I have to do a repair later on. I think I will talk with him about Aquabase.

Thanks,

Doc
Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by watson
Thanks again DUB, you are always a big help. When I used the water based paint on motorcycles, I did have to adjust to it. The prep was a bit different and the spraying was a bit different. After I used it once, I found it to be no problem. I don't have the skill to shoot my car, but I trust the guy that I have been talking with. He did make a good point that water based paint will make life easier in California if I have to do a repair later on. I think I will talk with him about Aquabase.

Thanks,

Doc

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To PPG Waterborne Paint Question

Quick Reply: PPG Waterborne Paint Question