Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C-6 hood adjustment question after removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Default C-6 hood adjustment question after removal

Before removing the hood for some engine work I marked the hood location on the frame rail and the hood attachment point. Wen the hood was reinstalled the gaps are good but the front of the hood where it meets the front facia is a little low. How do I adjust the hinges to move the front edge of the hood up a little to aline with the facia? Thanks for any help on this.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:10 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

For future search reference I have done the following: Loosen the 13mm bolts the hold the hood to the front hinge just enough to allow the hood to move on the hinge under pressure. Pulling the hood up and to the front of the car will raise the front edge of the hood. Gently lower the hood and press down until it latches. Next go to the front edge of the hood where it meets the fenders and the bumper cover and press down until the hood is level with the fenders and bumper cover. You may need to do this several times side to side to get it right.

If the gap between the front of the hood and the bumper cover it too much, loosen the hinge where it bolts to the frame rail and tap it forward about 1/8" at a time until it is where you want it. Recheck all your gap lines and tighten everything down. Took me about two hours trial and error.

The same procedure works for the rear trunk lid on a C-6 convertible but is easier than the hood adjustment.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 01-29-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can 'say'....that IF the hood was perfect BEFORE it was removed....then there is no reason EVER to mess with the hinges on the frame.

Glad that you got your hood to work. When I remove the hoods on the new Corvettes...the spinning washers on the bolts usually leave witness marks that I put the hood right back in the same spot and I am done. YES..these hoods can be a bit of fun when I am installing one after new parts are installed after an accident repair....but once you understand on how the hood can tilt...it goes rather quickly....but then again...I have done many and have paid the price on the learning curve.

DUB
Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I can 'say'....that IF the hood was perfect BEFORE it was removed....then there is no reason EVER to mess with the hinges on the frame.

Glad that you got your hood to work. When I remove the hoods on the new Corvettes...the spinning washers on the bolts usually leave witness marks that I put the hood right back in the same spot and I am done. YES..these hoods can be a bit of fun when I am installing one after new parts are installed after an accident repair....but once you understand on how the hood can tilt...it goes rather quickly....but then again...I have done many and have paid the price on the learning curve.

DUB
I pulled the hinges and latches to have them chromed. Everything was marked and was pretty close which got me in the ballpark. I'm glad to hear the someone else thinks the hoods can be "Fun". The Forum is great group therapy.Thanks!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I pulled the hinges and latches to have them chromed. Everything was marked and was pretty close which got me in the ballpark. I'm glad to hear the someone else thinks the hoods can be "Fun". The Forum is great group therapy.Thanks!
AHHHHHHH...A key piece of information left out of your description....which NOW completely makes what you wrote....make prefect sense.

YES...starting from scratch even with the best measurements always seems to still cause for those 'frog hair' adjustments be needed to get it RIGHT. I KNOW all about 'frog hairs'.

DUB
Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
AHHHHHHH...A key piece of information left out of your description....which NOW completely makes what you wrote....make prefect sense.

YES...starting from scratch even with the best measurements always seems to still cause for those 'frog hair' adjustments be needed to get it RIGHT. I KNOW all about 'frog hairs'.

DUB
"Frog Hair" Love it!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
"Frog Hair" Love it!
Kinda fits in this situation....doesn't it???

DUB
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Kinda fits in this situation....doesn't it???

DUB
Yep!

Get notified of new replies

To C-6 hood adjustment question after removal

Quick Reply: C-6 hood adjustment question after removal