Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

71 headlight bucket, paint pattern

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 71 headlight bucket, paint pattern

I'm looking for some info on the 71 headlight bucket paint-primer pattern from the factory.

I'm not sure if mine was original but it looks like the underside had a VERY light coat of primer (red) and a little mist of paint. I'm leaning toward priming only the top and back edge and misting the bottom with no primer?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Kevin
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What you have is basically the way it was done. There was really no attempt to paint the underside of the headlight doors fully.

I am assuming you are doing this to be judged???

DUB
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

DUB,
Don't currently have plans for judging, just want this car to look (as close as possible-$) to the way it looked when it left the line.

For bare metal parts like headlight buckets, do you use self etching primer or direct with epoxy primer?

Kevin
Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use an etching primer and also have used epoxy primer. I prefer to use an etching primer if it something that I am really concerned about. I have never had a paint problem in either method.

This is what I use when i use an etch primer on aluminum.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/3...mer-rm2844.pdf

This etch primer is what I use if I have to apply a filler over the metal due to damage. AS you can see when you read this info...this etch primer DOES allow body fillers to be applied on it while the other Long Life etch primer DOES NOT. So this chromate -free etch primer is GREAT to apply on bare steel before you apply body filler. That way...no rust can start on the bare steel....which I know does not matter on these headlight doors....but I thought it would be good to knwo anyway.

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/4...13-rm2845c.pdf

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 71 headlight bucket, paint pattern

Quick Reply: 71 headlight bucket, paint pattern