Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Where did my gap go.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Where did my gap go.

Painted the rear part of my 67 GTO. Had all the gaps perfect. After spraying the gap by the rear windshield is now real tight. How can I straighten this out.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Painted the rear part of my 67 GTO. Had all the gaps perfect. After spraying the gap by the rear windshield is now real tight. How can I straighten this out.
KINDA BLIND here.....Photos would be very helpful here. I have no idea where you are referring to when you write 'gap'. Rear back glass have a trim..so what are you 'talking' about????

And a very good description on how it was primed/painted and that process would be GREAT so it will turn over more pieces of the 'Jeopardy' puzzle.

BECAUSE if gaps are set TIGHT without taking into considerations the film build of primer and paint and clear. These products will obviously add to the panel..and thus can cause for 'things' to close in on themselves. And not knowing anything on what was done.,..I can only throw stuff out there and hope it sticks.

DUB
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I know where the gap went, it got filled in by paint. What is the best solution, watersand around the gap with 1000 grit until it is back to where it was. I don't want to bust thru the clear and have to repaint the edge.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

WELL...I GUESS you need to do just that. If the PAINT is too thick and you KNOW that what the problem is....then you have to do what you have to do and 'chalk it up' to a learning experience.

And if you have to paint it again due breaking though...well...welcome to my world where I have done that in the past.

I can only comment on what you are writing due to not seeing what you have going on.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Where did my gap go.

Quick Reply: Where did my gap go.