Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

body work basics

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default body work basics

ok, so I started on the seams. ground them out and started a small test spot with VPA. tried to work it down and ended up flattening out a spot (where I am pointing). tried to use guide coat but not sure how to form curves. seems to me I should shoot a couple of coats of primer and work the seam until i remove the primer and that will tell me to stop before damaging the panel. can I use VPA over primer?

Old 02-04-2016, 05:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
ok, so I started on the seams. ground them out and started a small test spot with VPA. tried to work it down and ended up flattening out a spot (where I am pointing). tried to use guide coat but not sure how to form curves. seems to me I should shoot a couple of coats of primer and work the seam until i remove the primer and that will tell me to stop before damaging the panel. can I use VPA over primer?

NO...DO NOT APPLY VPA over primer. A HUGE NO-NO!

If you need help in how to do body work and sanding techniques...PM me so I can get you my number if you do not have it already and we can talk.

If you choose to learn on your own...which you can if you choose...get ready to use a lot of VPA until you figure it out. Because it is NOT only knowing how to spread the VPA...and sand it...but also acquire the sense of 'feel'. The sense of 'feel' is the MOST important part.

You might be surprised on how much you can gain from a simple phone call.

DUB

Quick Reply: body work basics