Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Primer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Primer

I have some spots on my project that are peeling off but I'm not going to paint it for a while. Getting the bugs out. The area doesn't appear to have been sanded at all. I know I need to protect this area from contamination I'll try post a picture of the area
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

KEEP THIS IN MIND.

OK..I see the paint popping off. BUT....if the white that is under the burgundy paint that is popping off is SHINY /GLOSSY....then it is paint and you do NOT need to do anything...because it is paint.

Paint is paint....and if the burgundy is coming off and you are looking at shiny paint under it...this is a PERFECT example of poor prep and how IN TIME...paint will release and peel and pop off.

If it were me...and it is PAINT under these ares...I would not worry about anything at all.

DISCLAIMER:..DUE to not having exact knowledge of what is showing when the paint is coming off...the above information MAY not even apply.

DUB
Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

It is a grey color I don't think it is paint. How would I know for sure? Yeah pretty crappy prep a lot of small bubbles. It looks to me like it would be like a gel coat or something that a new panel would be coated with.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

QUESTION: When piece of this burgundy paint comes off...what does the backside of the paint chip look like????

IS it still burgundy colored...or some other color???

IT IS possible that they shot paint directly on the raw SMC...but not being there..it is hard to say.

It is also possible that it is s gray primer or sealer and when they shot it either they did not prep it correctly ...or they lost their 'window' of time and shot the burgundy on it and it did not bond.

DUB
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Some close ups

Old 02-09-2016, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Sorry ....these photos are no help. Even if they were in focus...it would be hard to actually tell if that is raw SMC or not.....which is why....

I need to know the answers the the first two questions I asked in post #4.

DUB
Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Both sides also I drug a razor blade edge ways across the area and it didn't dig in

Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

VERY GOOD PHOTO...THANKS.

QUESTION:

1.) Does the exposed light gray area have any dark gray streaks or what may resemble what marble might look like????

2.) Is this light gray exposed areas shiny???

IF you answered YES to question 1. Then this is the raw SMC and it should be protected.

AND question 2 does not matter if you answered YES to question 1.

RAW SMC looks like a light whiteish-gray marble. Where you can have some random dark gray streaks that will run through it from time to time. I have seen some SMC panels that were a consistent gray color...with very little to no streaks init.

SO...if you have an edge where the paint is off the panel and lightly scuff the edge. IF there is a primer applied...you should be able to easily break through the primer due to sanding on an edge...and that will let you know that the panel has been primed.

The dark red/brown color on the backside of the one paint chip tell me that it seems to have been primed with a lacquer primer. And it is releasing due to more than likely improper sanding techniques or surface prep prior to priming......which is why I asked if the panel under the paint is shiny or not.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

So what type primer would you suggest to put on it ? knowing it will be road tested driven for a while before paint

Last edited by croaker; 02-10-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Knowing that whatever you put on is going to HAVE TO come back off again.

So...IF it is RAW SMC...you can use some aerosol can primer from who ever you choose. The main thing is to get something on the raw SMC. And if you find some of the touch up aerosol can paint that is close to the burgundy color...you can apply it on top of the primer and that will also seal it up a bit more.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
croaker (02-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Primer

Quick Reply: Primer