Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Molding Strips painted

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Molding Strips painted

I just had my '86 repainted after being rear-ended. Despite my telling them not to, the Body Shop painted the Molding Strips. Anybody got any ideas how to fix this, or am I going to have to try and get them to replace them all. I feel It won't be easy or cheap any way I or they go. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Wow. What a mess. They can either remove and replace them or rub the paint off with lacquer thinner, hoping they can get it all. Not likely though. Then you'll have to worry about your paint peeling from the paint bridging. They screwed up royally.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
They screwed up royally.
BOY...do I SECOND THAT!

All I can say is that I would let them deal with it due to their MISTAKE of EPIC proportions.

I can say...I hope that they gave you some type of guarantee or warranty....and the reason I am writing this is beacsue when idiots painted these moldings...chances are VERY HIGH that they did not prep very well...and paint can flake off due to poor prep.

AND...not to make things worse than they already are...the front bumper cover needs to be removed so the front molding can be replaced....and this can cause for paint to CRACK if they did a **** poor job and did not add flex additive to the paint...which I doubt they did.

Also a key piece of this situation is how much you paid for the paint job....if you paid peanuts for it....you then employed monkeys......and you got what you paid for. If you paid serious bucks....then you got screwed. I know they did not follow your instructions...so hopefully this will turn out well.

DUB
Old 02-21-2016, 01:20 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm aware of the problems with replacing it; I've read bad things on the forum about re- installing the front bumper. I was just hoping someone might have an idea I hadn't heard of. I'm pretty sure the paint won't stay on long, and if another door hits it, it will crack, or fall off. Things could get ugly. Thanks for all your help...GW
Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Curveit
I'm aware of the problems with replacing it; I've read bad things on the forum about re- installing the front bumper. I was just hoping someone might have an idea I hadn't heard of. I'm pretty sure the paint won't stay on long, and if another door hits it, it will crack, or fall off. Things could get ugly. Thanks for all your help...GW
If you know you are going to replace them...then I might suggest trying to use some heat and see if you can peel the paint off of a molding and see what it takes. Chances are they did not go throguh the specific prep on these plastic molding to get the paint to really adhere.

Knowing that you are aware of the front bumper issues....I might add make sure that it is warmed up really well....but NOT really hot....so you will have better flexibility in it as hopefully this will make it less likely that you have paint crack.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Molding Strips painted

Quick Reply: Molding Strips painted