Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

body panels-new vs. old

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:47 PM
DEAN66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body panels-new vs. old

Had a thought about the thickness difference between existing body panels and the newer panels at the quarterpanels. Instead of blocking down the newer parts could the bonding strip be removed and shimed to allow for the new panel ? Tks. Larry
Old 02-27-2016, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When I run into new press molded parts that are thicker at the bonding strip area...I grind MORE off the new panel and get it down a bit further. And when I bond it on...I know I have to do fill work at the seam.....I get is as close as I can and then do the 'usual' fill and shaping work to the seam.

Removing a bonding strip just because a new panel is thicker is...to me...a waste of time and pointless. Just my point of view. All that added work just because a company made a panel thicker than original. And with good sanding/grinding techniques and paying attention...no loss of panel integrity would occur.

SO taking a bit off the backside of the panel and then grind the rest off the front side when you go and fill in the seam.

Just my opinion on this. Knowing what panel you were referring to would have been nice.

DUB
Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 PM
DEAN66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
When I run into new press molded parts that are thicker at the bonding strip area...I grind MORE off the new panel and get it down a bit further. And when I bond it on...I know I have to do fill work at the seam.....I get is as close as I can and then do the 'usual' fill and shaping work to the seam.

Removing a bonding strip just because a new panel is thicker is...to me...a waste of time and pointless. Just my point of view. All that added work just because a company made a panel thicker than original. And with good sanding/grinding techniques and paying attention...no loss of panel integrity would occur.

SO taking a bit off the backside of the panel and then grind the rest off the front side when you go and fill in the seam.

Just my opinion on this. Knowing what panel you were referring to would have been nice.

DUB
working on rear quarterpanels [66 coupe] and my sanding/techniques don't exist as this is my first time hence the idea about the bonding strips.Larry
Old 02-28-2016, 05:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It is as simply as slowly grind the area on the backside of the quarter panel where the bonding strip will touch it.

I KNOW I would not do anything with the bonding strip...in regards to removing it and spacing it out...now knowing what panel you are replacing.

DUB
Old 02-28-2016, 07:37 PM
DEAN66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
It is as simply as slowly grind the area on the backside of the quarter panel where the bonding strip will touch it.

I KNOW I would not do anything with the bonding strip...in regards to removing it and spacing it out...now knowing what panel you are replacing.

DUB
having look harder at bonding strip I see your point
Tks. Larry

Get notified of new replies

To body panels-new vs. old

Quick Reply: body panels-new vs. old