Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hood / Fender alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood / Fender alignment...

I finally have my front end back together after installing a replacement inner fender on driver side and adjusting everything reasonably well... but the hood is up 3/16" at the bump part way along the side. It is the same on both sides. I have used the inner fenders to push the fenders up as much as they or I am comfortable with. Is it possible to use heat and weight to adjust out this slight warp (or introduce a warp is more like it). Nothing fit right when I got the car and it has had a new fender on passenger side and a new hood surround installed in 1972 - all GM parts.

The following users liked this post:
BobG74 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF you DID NOT bond the inner skirts where they bond ABOVE your upper A-arms...You can go on the inside of your wheel housings...and CAREFULLY jack up on the top hood surround to raise it and make it fit your hood flush. I have had much worse than 3/16".

IF your hood is FLUSH to the top hood surround the FRONT ( behind the headlight areas) and ALSO the area where your hood hinges are....then I would do as I mentioned.

DISCLAIMER: Knowing that the top hood surround was replaced....I would have to VERIFY that the wiper door and grille along with the hood fit correctly and the gaps were spot on. BECAUSE...it IS possible that the front clip can be set out too far..and if it was pushed back...then the top hood surround would raise in the area you have this issue...and cause the fenders to slightly bow outwards at the wheel well lip areas.. BECAUSE....when top hood surrounds or front clips are installed...a person can actually pull out on the front clip and cause the the top center lip of the fenders to move in and out...

DUB

Quick Reply: Hood / Fender alignment...