Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Think I may try and paint my 1977, MYSELF. Yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 PM
flyguy767
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Think I may try and paint my 1977, MYSELF. Yikes!

Ok, I have a 77 that's light metallic blue. The paint is not bad, but there are some areas where I can see dust particles in the paint . The car looks very nice and shines, but up close, not so much. One of M y T tops color shade is off and my hood is the same. Hardly noticeable, but I see it. So I am thinking of painting this myself and do a few small scratch repairs on the rear bumper and paint it also. I was hoping I could wet sand some of the body areas with the dust in the paint and buff it and polish it.
I have never painted a vehicle before, I do have some larger steel car parts around to practice on first. I was hoping for some wisdom, guidance and DIY tips for a project like this. I feel this is not out of my scope of ability, but I am starting from scratch and no previous experience. I am semi retired and have plenty of time. So looking for step 1 and 2 and so forth. I am not sure what kind if paint is on the car now, it has been repainted but still the original color, which I plan on keeping it the same color. I do understand that prep is 80% of what determines how well it wil turn out

Last edited by flyguy767; 03-17-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

You will need to make some decisions initially as to how far you are going to take your project and be prepared for "surprises". You will probably want to start by stripping off the paint so you can best assess the underlying glass. You will need to decide on the paint you want to use-water based base coat-clear coat, solvent based base coat-clear coat, single stage etc. You will also need to follow the directions on the materials so that all are compatible. The urethane bumpers require extra attention from what I have learned on this Forum. Dub and Porchdog are the pros that chime in often here and their advise is ALWAYS good-they have been there and done that. I am nearing putting color on my project('64 coupe) and their help,along with many others, has got me to this point and so far, I am pleased with the results.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 PM
flyguy767
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
You will need to make some decisions initially as to how far you are going to take your project and be prepared for "surprises". You will probably want to start by stripping off the paint so you can best assess the underlying glass. You will need to decide on the paint you want to use-water based base coat-clear coat, solvent based base coat-clear coat, single stage etc. You will also need to follow the directions on the materials so that all are compatible. The urethane bumpers require extra attention from what I have learned on this Forum. Dub and Porchdog are the pros that chime in often here and their advise is ALWAYS good-they have been there and done that. I am nearing putting color on my project('64 coupe) and their help,along with many others, has got me to this point and so far, I am pleased with the results.
What is the best or easiest way to strip the car if I choose? Do I really need to strip it? Can I just clean and sand the surface areas and prime it and then paint it. The body has no noticeable damage at all, just a small half inch long gash on the rear bumper where a shopping cart or something hit it. My concern is the small dust particles I see in the paint or it might even be a clear coat. Not sure what kind of paint is on the car, but it was painted by someone previously and they did not do that great of a job. So I am trying not to make this a huge under taking. Can I get reasonable results from cleaning, sanding and primer then paint? What's better base/clear or single stage paint. Not sure what single stage is.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

First off...I AM GLAD you asked before 'jumping' into the ABYSS.

Not that I care...but roughly filling out your Public Profile will aid me (us) You do not have to be specific if you choose not to do so....so I know if you live in Alaska...or Florida....Because if products are begin suggested..and where you live you can not get them...then mentioning stuff that you will need and can not get is a waste of time.

You have to decide on what you want the car to look like and what you can live with...and HOW MUCH TIME you are willing to put into this project.

Going over a previous paint job can be done...but it also comes with possibilities of problems also. NO ONE has a crystal ball and can tell you if it will be OK or not. Some paint jobs applied over previous paint jobs turn out fine...others fail badly.

Not knowing how many paint jobs are on the car and how WELL they prepped it can effect the end results or your paint job....because adding more film thickness to a body that has already been painted numerous times is a recipe for DISASTER.

Not meaning to scare you...just telling you the REAL DEAL.

There is not EASY way to strip a car...if you use chemical its takes time and is messy...if you use a razor blade and possible heat gun...IF you are not careful...you can nick the body to death....if you have it media blasted...then you are dealing with the the residue that gets all over the place. And..if you manually hand sand it....that can wear you down and make you quit.

IF you want to do this than YOU WILL DO THIS. And please understand that you learning as you go...you wrote: "So I am trying not to make this a huge under taking."...well..... It is just that. Because if you see dust particles in the paint/clear and that bothers you......then you are really in for some FUN. And I will add....that light blue metallic is ONE of the hardest paint colors to apply correctly. SO...get ready to buy a lot of paint and practice, practice, practice, practice, etc.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-17-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM
flyguy767
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
First off...I AM GLAD you asked before 'jumping' into the ABYSS.

Not that I care...but roughly filling out your Public Profile will aid me (us) You do not have to be specific if you choose not to do so....so I know if you live in Alaska...or Florida....Because if products are begin suggested..and where you live you can not get them...then mentioning stuff that you will need and can not get is a waste of time.

You have to decide on what you want the car to look like and what you can live with...and HOW MUCH TIME you are willing to put into this project.

Going over a previous paint job can be done...but it also comes with possibilities of problems also. NO ONE has a crystal ball and can tell you if it will be OK or not. Some paint jobs applied over previous paint jobs turn out fine...others fail badly.

Not knowing how many paint jobs are on the car and how WELL they prepped it can effect the end results or your paint job....because adding more film thickness to a body that has already been painted numerous times is a recipe for DISASTER.

Not meaning to scare you...just telling you the REAL DEAL.

There is not EASY way to strip a car...if you use chemical its takes time and is messy...if you use a razor blade and possible heat gun...IF you are not careful...you can nick the body to death....if you have it media blasted...then you are dealing with the the residue that gets all over the place. And..if you manually hand sand it....that can wear you down and make you quit.

IF you want to do this than YOU WILL DO THIS. And please understand that you learning as you go...you wrote: "So I am trying not to make this a huge under taking."...well..... It is just that. Because if you see dust particles in the paint/clear and that bothers you......then you are really in for some FUN. And I will add....that light blue metallic is ONE of the hardest paint colors to apply correctly. SO...get ready to buy a lot of paint and practice, practice, practice, practice, etc.

DUB
Updated my personal Public profile stuff. Didn't know I had that option.

Thanks for your advice, I hear your the man on the paint. I may want to pick your brain a little.

Last edited by flyguy767; 03-18-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy767
Updated my personal Public profile stuff. Didn't know I had that option.

Thanks for your advice, I hear your the man on the paint. I may want to pick your brain a little.
'Pick' away.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Think I may try and paint my 1977, MYSELF. Yikes!

Quick Reply: Think I may try and paint my 1977, MYSELF. Yikes!