1987 Fiberglass top Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 1987 Fiberglass top Repaint

Hello,
First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum as you have really help me bring my corvette back to life! Well I decided I wanted a nice new fiberglass top over the acrylic one, But it needs to be repainted. In simple, whats the best strip down method for this? it appears someone used a can of spray paint on it. I want to go with Sanding but now I am worried I could Damage the fiberglass. Do you recommend Sanding down or chemical strip.
Cheers!

Also! this top was purchased as a bit of a new painters "practice" I hope to practice on this panel and see what I can accomplish! should be a lot of work I'm sure. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Kdeman1; 03-18-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would remove the black trim first off. And I would either sand or chemical strip it. More than likely I would sand it due to the panel is basically flat and small.

Keep in mind I have the tools and know how to do this...and if you a re going to sand it down with a finish sander or D/A sander....take it slow and WATCH what you are doing...because the ONLY REASON that you screwed it up...is because YOU were NOT paying attention. Simple as that.

IF this is your maiden voyage in the body and paint field...I would paint something else other than this panel. Get a damaged fender from a local body shop and practice on that. OR...do as you wish.

DUB
Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I would remove the black trim first off. And I would either sand or chemical strip it. More than likely I would sand it due to the panel is basically flat and small.

Keep in mind I have the tools and know how to do this...and if you a re going to sand it down with a finish sander or D/A sander....take it slow and WATCH what you are doing...because the ONLY REASON that you screwed it up...is because YOU were NOT paying attention. Simple as that.

IF this is your maiden voyage in the body and paint field...I would paint something else other than this panel. Get a damaged fender from a local body shop and practice on that. OR...do as you wish.

DUB
Now for removal of this black trim, I planned on tapping it. How do you recommend removing it
Old 03-20-2016, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
Now for removal of this black trim, I planned on tapping it. How do you recommend removing it
I remove then by using a wooden paint mixing stick...and I start at the end and tap on the wood paint stick with a hammer and it begins to slide off....and then go to the other side and do the same and slowly work towards the center...going from one side to the other and it comes off.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Fiberglass top Repaint

Quick Reply: 1987 Fiberglass top Repaint