Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

VPA Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 AM
danhh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VPA Warning

I hope to prevent others having the problem I now have. I bought a can of VPA last week from the local NAPA and started to use it on the weekend. It seemed like it cured properly, but the sandpaper kept plugging up. I just called Evercoat to get some info. As you may know, this product has a shelf life of 1 year but the date code on the bottom of the can is (was) a mystery. So here's how it works; the first 3 numbers of the 6 digit code is the date of manufacture. On my can the code is 209339; this means it was manufactured in Sept. 2012. 2 is the year and 09 is the month.
I asked if it would eventually cure and was told no, so now I have to get it off somehow.I didn't ask what to use but I guess acetone.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by danhh
I hope to prevent others having the problem I now have. I bought a can of VPA last week from the local NAPA and started to use it on the weekend. It seemed like it cured properly, but the sandpaper kept plugging up. I just called Evercoat to get some info. As you may know, this product has a shelf life of 1 year but the date code on the bottom of the can is (was) a mystery. So here's how it works; the first 3 numbers of the 6 digit code is the date of manufacture. On my can the code is 209339; this means it was manufactured in Sept. 2012. 2 is the year and 09 is the month.
I asked if it would eventually cure and was told no, so now I have to get it off somehow.I didn't ask what to use but I guess acetone.

Glad you posted this. ASSUME NOTHING.....as I always say.
I remark about this about every time I mention using the Vette Panel Adhesive. Check the date code...on this and ALL products.

Use a scraper, flat blade putty knife...about anything that you have to get the vast majority of it off the panel. I WOULD NOT use a solvent...but you can do as you wish. I think acetone would flash off way too fast to do any good. I have encountered this also..and when I get the majority of it off. I begin to sand/grind it....and YES...I go through a lot of sandpaper due to it clogging up.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-28-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM
danhh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't even tried to get it off yet. It's such a shame because I had actually gotten a really smooth skim coat on the whole fender that wouldn't have needed a lot of sanding
Thanks for the hint about the acetone, Dub.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if it is not curing a heat gun and putty knife will peel it off .

Get notified of new replies

To VPA Warning

Quick Reply: VPA Warning