Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

black z06, losing my mind !

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
appliance guy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default black z06, losing my mind !

I have c5 (02) z06. The car is black, the paint is original. Cars been garage kept. I'd say the paint WAS an 8-9 out of 10. I had a professional detailer buff the car to remove water spots and light swirls. The car looked pretty dang good when finished. Its primarily a show car. I want to go a step further and have the whole car wet sanded to remove the slightly deeper imperfections. Out of direct sunlight the car looks flawless, in the sunlight the sides of the car look like total crap. The guy seems to know what he's doing, but now I'm starting to wonder. You can't capture the imperfecrions with a camera, but pic is from getting the car back yesterday.

Should I try to have the guy redo the car or find someone else. Thanks, jerry
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

there is not enough mill thickness on the cars to sand and buff. it may look great at first but you have removed uv protection. i have seen the aftermath of doing this . that is why i wont attempt it . good luck .
Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I was an auto painter and taught the subject in a vocational trade school, all that was a long time ago. Not much has changed in the painting process though--sealer, primer, color, and clear. The chemical compositions have changed for the better, but one thing's been constant throughout all this time--the thinner the each substrate is, the better.

I agree with Porchdog. I've always wanted a glass-smoove finish on my Vette, too, but I'm too afraid of the factory application's minimal thickness to sand and polish it. I'm afraid you've stepped into it; in any case, your pictures don't show nearly enough detail. It would probably take a monstrous camera set up and a truly professional photographer to show the flaws you see live and the coatings' features for us to evaluate your current situation accurately by internet.

I'm sure that face-to-face, if you were to bring the car to me in a shop environment, I would say what probably every smart painter/(businessman) would say--"I'll work on it if you insist, but no guarantees whatsoever". Even if I was responsible for its' current condition, I'd give the same caveat on further pursuance of "perfection". Sorry for the bad news.

My best and most conservative advice would be to clay bar (the sides only) where you find things the most objectionable. Use the FINE clay bar only, and see if you can fix things to your satisfaction. You don't need a pro to clay bar with 'fine' "grit". It'd take a LOT of elbow grease to destroy the clea rcoat with a fine clay bar unless the clear coat's thickness is on the ragged edge already. (In that case, the pro would have broken through, too. And in both cases, you'll have to have it repainted, no option. At least you'd save the cost of paying the pro again.) If you can clay bar it to almost your complete satisfaction, then polish it and wax it, and you're done. Use "almost" as your guide; the more clear you leave, the better off you'll be.

edited to add: Additionally, you've chosen a car with the worst color for this kind of work--black. Nothing is worse than black for showing flaws. Black is the medium of 'diminishing returns'.

Last edited by dork; 04-06-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
there is not enough mill thickness on the cars to sand and buff. it may look great at first but you have removed uv protection. i have seen the aftermath of doing this . that is why i wont attempt it . good luck .
I agree with 'porchdog'. Wet sanding the clear on this car is a losing proposition., It more than likely will come back and make you regret it...REGARDLESS what anyone else say that it can be done.

Simply put...there is NOT enough clear coat mils to do this. And HOW do I know this...is becasue I have done it for people who would not listen ...and they found out that can happen ...even though I TOLD THEM what was going to happen BEFORE it happened. The paint job will fail rather quickly...and once that happens....you are in worst shape than leaving it alone.

In my opinion...if you are looking for the BEST most exceptional paint job that will LAST...the car needs to be prepped and cleared so you have enough mils to fight against the UV's of the sun.

DUB
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM
appliance guy
Instructor

I don't understand why its only the sides of the car. It looks to me like he might of been getting tired and didn't do a good job buffing the sides, or went to fast. Going to have him LOOK at it again .
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by appliance guy
I don't understand why its only the sides of the car. It looks to me like he might of been getting tired and didn't do a good job buffing the sides, or went to fast. Going to have him LOOK at it again .
YES...I will write this.....so I am NOT attacking the guy who detailed your car.

When I have painted a car...and the owner is paying the bucks for a SUPER NICE paint job. When I am buffing and polishing it after water sanding it. I do it in a CLEAN ROOM..and I use a spot light with NO lights on in the room...so it duplicates how the car will look at night when headlights of a car shine on the finish. When I get completed.....the paint looks like it has been dipped in baby oil and NOT one swirl or scratch. And I can tell you that this process takes a lot of time and attention.

DUB
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 PM
appliance guy
Instructor

Yeah he's not quite that sophisticated, I'll keep y'all up tp date as it unfolds lol.

Get notified of new replies

To black z06, losing my mind !

Quick Reply: black z06, losing my mind !