Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

primer color

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM
kevinll63
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default primer color

The reason I'm asking is I painted my golf cart with the 066 paint code it's a 77corvette someone already painted the car before I got it but I had some paint mixed up with that paint code I used the Grey primer painted the cart and the cart looks like a lighter color someone came by and ask me what color of primer I used and said that would make a difference I didn't think it would. (Will it ) maybe the car is painted with a different shade of paint thats what I'm thinking
Old 04-10-2016, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinll63
The reason I'm asking is I painted my golf cart with the 066 paint code it's a 77corvette someone already painted the car before I got it but I had some paint mixed up with that paint code I used the Grey primer painted the cart and the cart looks like a lighter color someone came by and ask me what color of primer I used and said that would make a difference I didn't think it would. (Will it ) maybe the car is painted with a different shade of paint thats what I'm thinking
Current philosophy is to use specific shades of gray primer...which is what the facotry is doing today....and the shade of gray primer will be dictated by the color being applied.

SEVERAL ISSUES can cause the color to be lighter,
1.) The color was not correctly mixed when the toners were being added....AND...this can DRASTICALLY EFFECT the color if the paint store is mixing a small amount. 2 grams more of a white toner in a pint can throw off the color....BUT...2 grams in a gallon will not throw the color off that much..BUT it will still nonetheless..

2.) The ability of the orange to cover and not be transparent. SO...this means that MORE coats of the paint need to be applied to get to full saturation and coverage of the color...BECAUSE some colors CAN allow the gray primer to show through it when light hits it....THUS..it is a poor hiding color...that is why you want to ALWAYS get a spray out card at the paint store so you know how many coats of the color will cover the white and black checkers on the spray out card when you do a test spray out on the card. AND...if you do use a spray out card. Paint it JUST LIKE whatever you are going to be painting..so NO double to triple coats to get it to cover quickly. Paint a coat and allow it to flash and repeat until the checkers are covered.

You can actually lighten the color in the procedure in how you adjust the paint gun and other factors. SUCH AS...apply more paint and NOT allow it to flash off a long time can darken the color...while applying a light coat and letting it flash a long time can lighten the SAME COLOR MIX in the paint gun. The choice of reducer grade effects this also. This usually works a lot better for metallic colors...but solids can be altered somewhat the same way.

DUB
Old 04-10-2016, 07:40 PM
kevinll63
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply DUB that makes sense to me but when I get ready to paint the car I hope it will be the lighter color as you can see there is a pretty big difference <br ><br >
Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEAH...I would say that is a MILE OFF.

Keep in mind that some colors can fade darker due to the lighter pigmented toners in them can fade out and leave behind there darker toners in the color.

I honestly think they mixed it wrong myself...but then again I am not there. The color in the can...unreduced or thinned should be able to be stirred up and a drop placed on something and see how far off it is from the T-top.

This is why I often write that spray out cards need to be shot up so a person know the color is correct...so the entire car is not painted and cleared ONLY to find out the color was off.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To primer color

Quick Reply: primer color