In Polyester Primer, have a question about putty

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 PM
miked16
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default In Polyester Primer, have a question about putty

Hi Guys,

I sprayed the first coat of polyester primer this weekend over bare fiberglass on my basket case 63. There are a few nicks I missed that are turning up. Can I use VPA or some other putty over the polyester primer? Or fill in with more poly primer next round?

Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

those will go away in blocking the poly . carry on
Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
miked16
Instructor

Originally Posted by porchdog
those will go away in blocking the poly . carry on
OK I will keep at it! Thanks.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i only used epoxy on the 57 . there was a total of 6 double coats with each getting blocked. with poly it would have been 3 heavy coats .
Old 04-19-2016, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

miked16,

I have not seen a polyester primer that is that shade of red. Who is the manufacturer????

ALSO...FYI...keep in mind the amount of build that you are getting when you apply this polyester primer. Because if you keep applying it at you hinge post area and applying it on the head of the bolts that hold the hinges on...you can get a serious build that can fail and come off UNLESS the heads of these bolts were prepped really well....AND....if shooting it inside the opening where the hinge comes out of the post...trying to get inside that area and prep it so paint will stick is NO FUN.

DUB
Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 AM
miked16
Instructor

Hi Dub,

It is from TCP Global, the brand is Custom Shop. It is from a mail order outfit in San Diego. The claim it is mixed there but not so sure however the Navy uses a lot of paint so maybe the raw ingredient suppliers are around. I used this product on my Packard a few years ago and was happy with it. It is thick stuff. On the Packard I used a 1.8 mm needle but since then I purchased a 2.5mm gun from TCP that is working nice. I picked the red color because I figured it would help with coverage since the car is a riverside red car. It comes in other colors and TCP has listings on eBay. I thinned it a bit with acetone.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KUS-KPP109-...l#.VxcHO9RHarU

I tried to go light on the jambs, I will check the thickness of the paint on the hinge bolts.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by miked16
Hi Dub,

It is from TCP Global, the brand is Custom Shop. It is from a mail order outfit in San Diego. The claim it is mixed there but not so sure however the Navy uses a lot of paint so maybe the raw ingredient suppliers are around. I used this product on my Packard a few years ago and was happy with it. It is thick stuff. On the Packard I used a 1.8 mm needle but since then I purchased a 2.5mm gun from TCP that is working nice. I picked the red color because I figured it would help with coverage since the car is a riverside red car. It comes in other colors and TCP has listings on eBay. I thinned it a bit with acetone.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KUS-KPP109-...l#.VxcHO9RHarU

I tried to go light on the jambs, I will check the thickness of the paint on the hinge bolts.
Thanks for the reply.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To In Polyester Primer, have a question about putty

Quick Reply: In Polyester Primer, have a question about putty