Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts
Default 1974

My car was in a hit and run recently, I will be getting an estimate from my insurance company soon. I will enlist the help of a local Corvette guy to help me fix it and save a few bucks and do some other repairs. I noticed the gap around the headlight(which no longer closes; I will be converting to electric while we have it apart)gap is bigger on the wrecked side, as if the structure underneath is pulled down. Will I need to remove the entire front clip to repair?
Old 05-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Default 1974 Collision Repair

My car was in a hit and run recently, I will be getting an estimate from my insurance company soon. I will enlist the help of a local Corvette guy to help me fix it and save a few bucks and do some other repairs. I noticed the gap around the headlight(which no longer closes; I will be converting to electric while we have it apart)gap is bigger on the wrecked side, as if the structure underneath is pulled down. Will I need to remove the entire front clip to repair?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not know what you are calling the 'front clip'

The front bumper cover needs to come off...that is a fact. This will allow you to get a better look of what is going on and THEN when you post good photos and a good description of what you can see that will NOT show up in a photo...then a determination can be made.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that the entire front end needs to be removed. That's from what I can see....that is MAJOR OVERKILL.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

You might want to contact the MODERATORS and have them remove one of these threads due to you having two of the same thing.

DUB
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
I SERIOUSLY doubt that the entire front end needs to be removed. That's from what I can see....
THAT my friend is music to my ears. Now if the insurance company will kindly hand me a check for five grand...
Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

10-4
Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Thread in C3 Gen closed.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
THAT my friend is music to my ears. Now if the insurance company will kindly hand me a check for five grand...
BEST OF LUCK IN THAT!

If the damage and repair times can reflect that 5K figure..than it should not be an issue.

Make sure you look at it like a HAWK so you can see if you have fine stress cracks in the finish and body.

Depending on the insurance company adjuster who is looking at it. Keep in mind that what is written is NOT the end of the claim...and 'supplements' can be written to provide more money to fix it.

As for friend will tell you...the entire front clip will need to be cleared...but the color may not need to be shot on the entire front end clip. The reason for the full clear coating of the front end clip is due to there is NO point where you can successfully stop the clear and NOT have a line show up in time...just in case you did not know this.

Keep in mind....the photo you posted is just at the point of impact...and I am not there pulling on panels to see if you have panel separation..which can not be detected in the photo you posted. SO...anything is possible. but I have seen this type of damage MANY TIMES and it visually does not look that bad...even though it is bad.

DUB
Richard Daugird (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dub you are one of the most helpful members of this forum, I wish you were within a few hundred miles of me, the car would be at your shop! The car already needs a paint job, it is terrible, I was just about to start stripping it when this happened. It is dusty as Hell right now; I'll keep it that way and MAYBE the adjuster won't notice it already needed a paint job. Maybe I'll throw a tarp over it and just peel back enough to show the fender? My dad is my agent, been with State Farm for nearly fifty years, and my sister wrote the policy so hopefully I have a little pull when it comes to claim approval...
Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Thanks Dub you are one of the most helpful members of this forum, I wish you were within a few hundred miles of me, the car would be at your shop! The car already needs a paint job, it is terrible, I was just about to start stripping it when this happened. It is dusty as Hell right now; I'll keep it that way and MAYBE the adjuster won't notice it already needed a paint job. Maybe I'll throw a tarp over it and just peel back enough to show the fender? My dad is my agent, been with State Farm for nearly fifty years, and my sister wrote the policy so hopefully I have a little pull when it comes to claim approval...
SORRY...I missed the part you dad is a part of this before I wrote what is below.

NOPE....TRUST ME...the adjuster WILL NOTICE the current condition of the car because it is a PART of the 'general condition' of the car that the adjuster HAS to make mention of.

SO..if it is REALLY needing a paint job.,..then there is NO WAY you can demand the paint to be on the SHOW QUALITY level when completed IF it is NOT at show level at the time of the incident.

Because it also works in the SAME manner IF you car got hit AFTER you got it looking like it was dipped in baby oil....the adjuster would make it KNOWN that the paint is flawless...and added time for wet sanding and buffing/polishing would be added....and the estimate and times to repair 'things' would reflect that.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-04-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope the claim goes well for you Richard and what I'm about to say is not meant to be negative towards you at all... some just don't know... this is just FYI so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure you've heard the 'ol Miranda Rights being read to someone, particularly the part of "anything you say can and will be used against you..."? Well, the internet is the same way, only it's what you type that can and will be used against you. And it's a permanent digital record. With that said, I'm sure most of us have been in a similar insurance "situation" and did what we had to do to get the best outcome for ourselves. I'd just hate to see someone do a quick Google search on you prior to payment and have what you've written here on the forum pop up. Might not help your case much. Just be careful about what you say on a public forum. We are all on your side... just be careful!

Last edited by 13611; 05-04-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Richard Daugird (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 13611
I hope the claim goes well for you Richard and what I'm about to say is not meant to be negative towards you at all... some just don't know... this is just FYI so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure you've heard the 'ol Miranda Rights being read to someone, particularly the part of "anything you say can and will be used against you..."? Well, the internet is the same way, only it's what you type that can and will be used against you. And it's a permanent digital record. With that said, I'm sure most of us have been in a similar insurance "situation" and did what we had to do to get the best outcome for ourselves. I'd just hate to see someone do a quick Google search on you prior to payment and have what you've written here on the forum pop up. Might not help your case much. Just be careful about what you say on a public forum. We are all on your side... just be careful!
I read that also and it seemed a bit 'questionable'.

Some things just do not need to be written out to full clarity.

DUB
Old 05-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Sometimes I forget I use my full name on this forum. Oh well, I'm not really trying to "get over" on the insurance company, just compensated for my hassle.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974

Quick Reply: 1974