Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Assemble front clip, how to get started

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Assemble front clip, how to get started

Just got a great big box of fun parts from Sermersheim. Working on a '68, have new front clip pcs, both fenders, hood surround, lower valance. My original fenderwells are good, along with my bonding strips. So, with everything currently off the car, how do I get started? Rough position the surround, then the inners, then fit the original hood, then fenders?

I started a mock up assembly, but I am surprised the fitment of the fenders to surround is so poor. The curvature and profile seem like they will need a miracle for them to seam up nicely.

With no fitment starting point how do I avoid assembling the clip too high or low in the front?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DO you have a AIM???? Using measurements that you should have taken PRIOR to taking any panel off....would give you a starting point. IF NOT...then using the measurements giving for setting the body height can get you close.

Make sure the car is ON THE GROUND...and all tires aired up the same...and I am assuming that your front suspension is GOOD.

I have NO CLUE on what is still attached to your frame which is important to getting the height of the surround so you have air cleaner clearance along with the fan fitting the shroud correctly

You wrote: Rough position the surround, then the inners, then fit the original hood, then fenders?

Actually...get the inner skirts in place...then the top hood surround get fitted...then hood....then fenders and lower valance.

A lot of fitting can checking is going to take place...so....hopefully you took some good measurements BEFORE the old panels were removed.

Get ready for an easy 40-60+ hours to do this. Collision estimating guides give 30 hours for JUST the top hood surround. I have more than I can count. There is a LOT to consider when doing this so when you get it all done....you find that you missed something....depending on year model.

DUB
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks DUB.
No AIM, prob should get one on the way.

This car was purchased with wheels forward cut off from collision so many of the critical measurements were unavailable or not trustworthy. Inners did survive so I guess when you bolt them to the rad support sides it does start to give a reference point. Frame is all verified good, horse shoe and frame extension brackets also good. I kinda figure I'm going to be test fitting for 6 months.....
Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 68notray
Thanks DUB.
No AIM, prob should get one on the way.

This car was purchased with wheels forward cut off from collision so many of the critical measurements were unavailable or not trustworthy. Inners did survive so I guess when you bolt them to the rad support sides it does start to give a reference point. Frame is all verified good, horse shoe and frame extension brackets also good. I kinda figure I'm going to be test fitting for 6 months.....
YEP....Plan on spending some time on this.

DUB
Old 05-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm putting a new hood surround and nose from Corvette Image on my '59. The first time I set it in place I was pretty disappointed about the fit. After some trimming and adjustments and 25 hours, its starting to fit pretty good. I figure another 25 hours before everything is bonded in place. Patience, patience.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

We replaced all panels behind the doors as well as front surround and one front fender. One thing that helped was to roll the car out with all the panels mocked up and look at it from every angle from a distance.

Get notified of new replies

To Assemble front clip, how to get started

Quick Reply: Assemble front clip, how to get started