Ho To Repair Chip In T-Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Sig1977
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ho To Repair Chip In T-Top

Hi All!

Can anyone provide: guidance / pointers / process on how to repair this chip in my T-Top?

Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2016, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You are aware that the condition of the actual paint on this T-top is really bad. I can see the 'checking' and 'crazing' in the paint.

SO...anything you do is going to open up other issues when and if you choose to do something about it.

I do not know what level of repair you are looking to try to accomplish. Just for this tiny spot...you are going to spend quite a lot of money on products that you will only need a very little bit of....and as I stated...with the condition of the paint....fixing this chip and crack that I can see...is going to escalate.

SO ..I am at a loss on what to suggest...so I am not typing out a bunch of stuff and then nothing is done with it...so I basically wasted my time typing it all out. I will not tell you how to do it on the 'cheap'...but rather how it repair it correctly. And for what it is worth...I would not worry about the color matching...that is just not going to happen and be perfect.....so...need to know what you expect.

DUB
Old 05-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Sig1977
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
You are aware that the condition of the actual paint on this T-top is really bad. I can see the 'checking' and 'crazing' in the paint.

SO...anything you do is going to open up other issues when and if you choose to do something about it.

I do not know what level of repair you are looking to try to accomplish. Just for this tiny spot...you are going to spend quite a lot of money on products that you will only need a very little bit of....and as I stated...with the condition of the paint....fixing this chip and crack that I can see...is going to escalate.

SO ..I am at a loss on what to suggest...so I am not typing out a bunch of stuff and then nothing is done with it...so I basically wasted my time typing it all out. I will not tell you how to do it on the 'cheap'...but rather how it repair it correctly. And for what it is worth...I would not worry about the color matching...that is just not going to happen and be perfect.....so...need to know what you expect.

DUB
Hey DUB,

I am tracking everything you say.

So what I did was to buy two 77 T-TOP for a total of $35 to learn on.
The hardware latches etc. (all original GM) are in really good shape and alone could fetch $35 to $65 bucks from what I see on e-bay so at a bare minimum I am $105.00 to the good.

So back to the learning. My 1977 has really nice tops and like most cars of age the rubber needs replacing. I cant find a good instructional video on the subject just some articles telling about the chemicals to use to remove the rubber, cleaning etc. So I am going to take a top and figure it out. This I would like to do.
- Do fiber glass work i.e., the chip
- Remove the stainless steel trim – the other has a dent
o Note with the trim is see crimp dimples but what tool is used.
o I also understand rivets need to be drilled out what type of rivet gun is used. Rivets are sold at the unusual Vette places on line etc………
- Replace the rubber – which both tops need replacing
- And learn how to remove the old paint and then prep the glass for new paint
-
I can send you some pics of the tops and they really cleaned up nice if interested.

I might find that I turn a rock into a diamond! What do you think?
By the way I really appreciate your response and your candor. It shows you are looking out for someone and your character that mean a lot!
Regards,
Mike
Old 05-19-2016, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Sig1977
Hey DUB,

I am tracking everything you say.

So what I did was to buy two 77 T-TOP for a total of $35 to learn on.
The hardware latches etc. (all original GM) are in really good shape and alone could fetch $35 to $65 bucks from what I see on e-bay so at a bare minimum I am $105.00 to the good.

So back to the learning. My 1977 has really nice tops and like most cars of age the rubber needs replacing. I cant find a good instructional video on the subject just some articles telling about the chemicals to use to remove the rubber, cleaning etc. So I am going to take a top and figure it out. This I would like to do.
- Do fiber glass work i.e., the chip
- Remove the stainless steel trim – the other has a dent
o Note with the trim is see crimp dimples but what tool is used.
o I also understand rivets need to be drilled out what type of rivet gun is used. Rivets are sold at the unusual Vette places on line etc………
- Replace the rubber – which both tops need replacing
- And learn how to remove the old paint and then prep the glass for new paint
-
I can send you some pics of the tops and they really cleaned up nice if interested.

I might find that I turn a rock into a diamond! What do you think?
By the way I really appreciate your response and your candor. It shows you are looking out for someone and your character that mean a lot!
Regards,
Mike
Mike,

SO if I read what you wrote correctly...these tops are just so you can practice on???

I gather that one of your stainless trim pieces has a dent it in???

The chances that you are getting ready to open up a 'can of worms' when you try to remove the stainless trim is HIGHLY POSSIBLE.

SO...instead of me typing for hours after a hard day working on Corvettes. Private Message (PM) me if you want me to give you my shop phone number and I would be GLAD to talk with you...which saves me HOURS.

DUB
Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Sig1977
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Mike,

SO if I read what you wrote correctly...these tops are just so you can practice on???

I gather that one of your stainless trim pieces has a dent it in???

The chances that you are getting ready to open up a 'can of worms' when you try to remove the stainless trim is HIGHLY POSSIBLE.

SO...instead of me typing for hours after a hard day working on Corvettes. Private Message (PM) me if you want me to give you my shop phone number and I would be GLAD to talk with you...which saves me HOURS.

DUB
Hi DUB, Outstanding. Sending PM
Thanks
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Ho To Repair Chip In T-Top

Quick Reply: Ho To Repair Chip In T-Top