Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

SPI gone bad??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SPI gone bad??

I just opened a gallon of SPI turbo 2K primer and can get the stuff at the bottom to mix. I have stirred it for literally 40 minutes with a stick and can't get it to mix. the primer is thick and maybe just a little thicker than their epoxy. it is the holiday weekend and I wanted to spray and sand all weekend. is this ok to use?? maybe not as thick as it should be and need additional coats? here is what it looks like. when I squeeze it in my fingers it looks dry.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

When I have had a project, I have found the local Home Depot very willing to put my paint on their agitators for me. You might want to try that. Is there an expiration date on the can? How long have you had it? Has it been exposed to either a hot or cold environment?
Old 05-27-2016, 08:12 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
When I have had a project, I have found the local Home Depot very willing to put my paint on their agitators for me. You might want to try that. Is there an expiration date on the can? How long have you had it? Has it been exposed to either a hot or cold environment?
had it about 6 months. always kept in my house. no expiration date on can.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a mixer paddle from an old electric mixer . Put it my drill and use it to stir heavy primers. Works on the slicksand or the turbo. Works good for epoxy too . The black pigment is the worst about settling .

Last edited by porchdog; 05-27-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:09 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Originally Posted by porchdog
I have a mixer paddle from an old electric mixer . Put it my drill and use it to stir heavy primers. Works on the slicksand or the turbo. Works good for epoxy too . The black pigment is the worst about settling .
thanks!
so it is not bad just need mixed? I will try my wifes mixer blade.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

no it is fine. the epoxy will be the same way . i welded a short rod to the mixer blade to make it longer. i use it for everything. slicksand is tuff to mix also.
when you mix epoxy and let it induce overnight it will separate and look like oil and water. perfectly alright just stir it up.
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (05-31-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To SPI gone bad??

Quick Reply: SPI gone bad??