Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Some more progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Some more progress

This past week I have been working on the rear window area. I removed the window and that was a chore. I learned from John Z on the C2 forum, who worked on our C2s in St. Louis, that the rear window was glued into the car with a very strong adhesive. The reason being that the window was used for additional rigidity of the coupe. I used a piano wire cutter and it broke nearly 20 times. I helped the process along by using a razor blade and partially cut the adhesive from inside the car-worked much better. Today, I finished stripping all of the paint and adhesive from the channel. Getting closer to painting but STILL sanding sanding sanding.
Attached Images     
Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to how some people here on the Forum feel that when I reply ...that 'my way' is the ONLY WAY to do something...which if people actually got to know me...would KNOW that that can not be further from the truth. SO...I will write this and you can do as you wish...and that is also not me giving you permission on doing it your way...because honestly...its your car and I have absolutely NO SAY in how anything gets done.

Just be aware that when you go to use the urethane...which will more than likely be the material you will use to bond the back glass in place.....THAT....when using a windshield urethane...and wanting to GUARANTEE that it will adhere and NOT SHEAR OFF....it is wise to NOT paint the channel where the urethane will be applied.

Usually the best thing is to apply nothing BUT the urethane primer....or in some cases a light coat of epoxy primer on bare steel.

I do know that current procedures tell us that 'they' do not want primer, paint and clear to be applied BEFORE the urethane primer....because in an accident...the possibility that the primer, paint and clear can SHEAR from each other and thus allow the glass to fly out of the car is increased.

This above comment can be verified or found to be totally inaccurate if a person calls the manufacturer of the urethane windshield adhesive they plan on using. I just know how I would do it....which does not matter.

DUB
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

DUB:
You have "been there and done that" whereas I am just getting there. With the channel in bare glass, now is the time to do what is best. The old material was placed over paint with a primer placed on the glass, a bead of material put on the glass and dropped onto the lip with primer and lacquer paint in the channel. The entire channel is fiberglass and there is no metal. I don't know if the original adhesive is available any longer. Do you use urethane to set your rear windows in or sublet that out?
Thank you for your time
Dave
Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have a glass company come in and set it up and I let them bond it in. Which is why I mentioned that many glass companies HAVE TO follow specific procedures due to being LIABLE...or at least mine does.

I know that what you may have found when you removed everything MAY be different than what I wrote in regards to paint and primer....BUT...that was THEN...This is NOW.

That is why calling a glass company and doing some research for yourself and find out when talking to the tech guys of the product that the glass company uses for an adhesive ...you actually can do what they want.

The main thing...in my opinion would be the set-up....so when the glass is installed and set..the trim can go on and the glass looks correct and not set too far down so when the trim is on...you have a wide gap between the trim and the glass.

And the reason I am so 'opinionated' about this is because I am liable for it.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (06-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Some more progress

Quick Reply: Some more progress