Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Cracked C5 Tub. He backed into me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Cracked C5 Tub. He backed into me.

Saturday morning.
Beat up pickup. Trailer hitch. *&^%$#@

Insurance wants to know about "REPLACING THE TUB".

????????

Is this a 'Bolt-in' item? Or is this a 'Cut and Paste' job?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images    
Old 07-18-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A bit of both...bolt on and bond in.

I know this is your car but this part is SERIOUSLY going to be FUN to replace...especially if you install it in its entirely and NOT section it in.

IF you plan on sectioning this..I would really look good at the damage very well and determine if laminating it up to give it strength again would work. I know it is cracked up...but it is still together...versus you having missing pieces and it being totally weakened.

From what I can see only in that one photo...it appears that the 'tub' did not take a huge hit and get destroyed.

If this damage is centralized to just this corner...and you can not see any hidden cracks from the underside to when you pull carpet,etc...I would do whatever I could to keep from having to dismantle the car for damaged in just this one spot. There will be a lot on the underside that will be involved if my memory serves me correctly.

DUB
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Exactly correct. the tub was 'touched' and just suffered cracks around that corner.
I'm thinking laying fiberglass matting inside and outside.
As the tub didn't actually MOVE or go out of shape, that would be my best move.
I could get a used, unmarked tub (nothing wrong with it), for $500.oo
But I could fix this for about $30.oo
Old 07-19-2016, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not that you asked...but I would use WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin. The 105 resin and the 206 hardener.

And not knowing if you also know this or not...but even though the damage looks minor...the cracks that you do see are going to take a bit of grinding because the way the SMC cracks...it cracks laterally. SO your prepped area for lamination can actually be over an inch out from the center of the crack on each side. And if you leave distressed fibers of the SMC and laminate on them... it is hard to expect them to give you a strong repair. So it will depend on how solid of a repair in this area you want to achieve.

DUB
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 AM
vettefever17
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
A bit of both...bolt on and bond in.

I know this is your car but this part is SERIOUSLY going to be FUN to replace...especially if you install it in its entirely and NOT section it in.

IF you plan on sectioning this..I would really look good at the damage very well and determine if laminating it up to give it strength again would work. I know it is cracked up...but it is still together...versus you having missing pieces and it being totally weakened.

From what I can see only in that one photo...it appears that the 'tub' did not take a huge hit and get destroyed.

If this damage is centralized to just this corner...and you can not see any hidden cracks from the underside to when you pull carpet,etc...I would do whatever I could to keep from having to dismantle the car for damaged in just this one spot. There will be a lot on the underside that will be involved if my memory serves me correctly.

DUB
This is exactly what I would do. Based on the pictures, it seems a front and back glass job with heavy resin would cure the damage to meet rigidity. Had this damaged happened in the middle of the tub, well, I would be going for the tub replacement based on body flex.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettefever17
Had this damaged happened in the middle of the tub, well, I would be going for the tub replacement based on body flex.
somewhat...because I have repaired cracked tubs and it has a lot to do with how it can be reinforced and strengthened. There are methods to get it super strong again....as you may know. So much of it depends on the extent of the damage. Sometimes it is better to replace the part...while other times it is better to repair it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked C5 Tub. He backed into me.

Quick Reply: Cracked C5 Tub. He backed into me.