Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Millenium yellow clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Millenium yellow clearcoat

Is the clearcoat for the C5 millennium yellow tinted or is it the same as any other clearcoat ?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know I painted a 2006 Z06 and it was yellow and was NOT a tri-stage.

Providing the GM paint code would be helpful because I do not go by names of colors...only the codes.

DUB
Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 AM
GeneT
Racer

Default 79

GM paint code 79

the paint is OK, but the clearcoat is flaking off in a couple of places on the front clip, about the size of a dime

Originally Posted by DUB
I know I painted a 2006 Z06 and it was yellow and was NOT a tri-stage.

Providing the GM paint code would be helpful because I do not go by names of colors...only the codes.

DUB
Old 07-30-2016, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by GeneT
GM paint code 79

the paint is OK, but the clearcoat is flaking off in a couple of places on the front clip, about the size of a dime
Actually I need the 'WA' code and not the two number code. Many colors can use '79'...which is why GM went to the 'WA' code...which is on the bottom of the white placard in the car with all of your option codes.

I but that this part has been repainted...because I have yet to see the clear pop off of GM's paint in a VERY long time.

DUB
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 PM
GeneT
Racer

It's 423G

I've had the car for 7 years, and it had less than 20K on it when I got it. I don't see any signs of a repaint, but I don't know what happened in the first 20K.

Originally Posted by DUB
Actually I need the 'WA' code and not the two number code. Many colors can use '79'...which is why GM went to the 'WA' code...which is on the bottom of the white placard in the car with all of your option codes.

I but that this part has been repainted...because I have yet to see the clear pop off of GM's paint in a VERY long time.

DUB
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

THANKS....that is what I needed and I will get back to you tomorrow.

And it is REALLY odd that if the paint is popping or blistering off...this would be the first one I know of if the paint is still facotry. And the reason I am reacting like I am...the urethane bumpers are painted on a separate paint line using different products for flexibility...and I know GM's paint on their bumpers is really really good and sticks. And the clear should NOT come off in large pieces....which leads me to believe that it has been squirted on...at some time...either at the plant after it was painted...or at the dealership due to transport damage.

I have had new Corvettes with bumper damage where the bumper literally folded over and the paint did not come off in sheets...it really stuck to the urethane.

DUB
Old 08-01-2016, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

That yellow (423G) does not have tint coat...it is a basecoat /clearcoat.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Millenium yellow clearcoat

Quick Reply: Millenium yellow clearcoat