Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Adhesive for SMC fender bonding

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim__H
Dub, that is true although this part of the project was not supposed to be a big deal. A couple of cracks in the fender, I had no idea there was so much previous repair and bondo in there. I am way over budget on this car but I blame the 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives and the Vintage Air unit for that.

But now I think I have a good plan for getting this fender installed properly. I'll pick up some 994 and the West product and send the 864 back where it came from. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your sage advice.

Jim
I understand when a person feels they are over budget.

The ONE good thing about your 700R4 transmission is that is will begin 'paying' you back when you drive it and get better fuel mileage with it...and less rpm's aids in engine life also. I have a customer with a Bowtie Overdrive in his 1974 and he gets really good mileage on the highway and he has a wicked DART 400 small block with blistering power.

If you get to a point and have concerns....PM me and I can get you my shop phone number and you can call me if needed.

DUB
Old 08-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I understand when a person feels they are over budget.

The ONE good thing about your 700R4 transmission is that is will begin 'paying' you back when you drive it and get better fuel mileage with it...and less rpm's aids in engine life also. I have a customer with a Bowtie Overdrive in his 1974 and he gets really good mileage on the highway and he has a wicked DART 400 small block with blistering power.

If you get to a point and have concerns....PM me and I can get you my shop phone number and you can call me if needed.

DUB
Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Dub, that is true although this part of the project was not supposed to be a big deal. A couple of cracks in the fender, I had no idea there was so much previous repair and bondo in there. I am way over budget on this car but I blame the 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives and the Vintage Air unit for that.

But now I think I have a good plan for getting this fender installed properly. I'll pick up some 994 and the West product and send the 864 back where it came from. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your sage advice.

Jim
Hello all,
Thought I would post an update on my fender replacement. I have been making good progress, slow but I only have weekends to work on this, and not every one at that. Here are some photos, first the bridge that I made for the major splice at the right headlight cover. Second the firewall bonding strip that I built up with the Evercoat 994, and third is where I was seeing small cracks and a witness line on the outside of the fender where the bonding strip is. I ground it down with a flap wheel and put fiber glass over it. Obviously have not sanded it yet. There were also some minor repairs that I had to make to the fender - holes that were drilled for a front spoiler and some damage at the very front of the fender.

Hopefully I am on the right track here, the next step is to bond the fender on. I must say I am impressed with the 994 and the 105/206 West Systems resin and hardener. Both very easy to work with. I am getting almost 10 minutes of working time with the 994 and boy does that stuff harden like a rock. As you can see in the photo I did not smooth it out much at the firewall bonding strip, just knocked off the high spots, I figure it does not have to be smooth.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images    

Last edited by Jim__H; 09-13-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Hello all,

Cheers,
Jim
Stilll going at it, almost ready for priming. Slow, that's the way i work, but going well. After bonding the fender is solid as a rock, and the glassing has gone well with only a thin layer of filler needed to smooth things out. Here is a photo of the splice across the headlight door. I did have to bring the left side of the opening in about 3/16", that took me a while.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 07:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

LOOKS GOOD...but if you want some free professional advice.

I would sand/block off the top hood surround on the right side and get the blue paint and black sealer BEFORE you prime it. That is a top surface where the 'ring out' effect can show up rather quickly in time. And I would do this even if it caused me to have to re-apply some of the body filler I see getting on the blue painted areas where it has been applied.

And if the car where in my shop...all the blue paint and black would be taken off. If it is not on the panel..then the chance of a 'ring-out' or problem is increased. If it is taken out of the scenario ...then when it is painted and given time in the sun those problem ls theoretically can not arise due to not being there to do so.

And I understand that unless you use some specific primers that really rock up and get hard. Many of today's catalyzed primers can cause the ring out to show up when they cure out.

DUB
Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
LOOKS GOOD...but if you want some free professional advice.

I would sand/block off the top hood surround on the right side and get the blue paint and black sealer BEFORE you prime it. That is a top surface where the 'ring out' effect can show up rather quickly in time. And I would do this even if it caused me to have to re-apply some of the body filler I see getting on the blue painted areas where it has been applied.

And if the car where in my shop...all the blue paint and black would be taken off. If it is not on the panel..then the chance of a 'ring-out' or problem is increased. If it is taken out of the scenario ...then when it is painted and given time in the sun those problem ls theoretically can not arise due to not being there to do so.

And I understand that unless you use some specific primers that really rock up and get hard. Many of today's catalyzed primers can cause the ring out to show up when they cure out.

DUB
Thanks Dub. I'll take your advice, always appreciated. I thought this would be a good time to post a photo, before priming.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

I thought this would be a good time to post a photo, before priming.
YES...that was very good thinking on your part.

DUB
Old 11-05-2016, 12:51 AM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...that was very good thinking on your part.

DUB
Dub, I'm not out of the woods yet. What do you suggest for this little issue, the new fender extends out about 3/16" from the edge of the bumper. My guess is the bumper is a urethane replacement, maybe the original. Definately not fiberglass.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2016, 04:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

If you run into any problems...make sure you ask if you feel you need another opinion.

DUB
Old 11-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Jim__H
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
If you run into any problems...make sure you ask if you feel you need another opinion.

DUB
Dub, I bought some Evercoat Poly-Flex. Can i use it to build up that end of the bumper to get it even with the fender? It's about 3/16" at the worst point and tapers to where it is even over 3".
Old 11-05-2016, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

I need to see a good photo(s) of this problem. Before I would add on the urethane bumper....UNLESS it is 100% confirmed that someone ground on it. I would build out on the body.

I need to clearly see what you see. And the photos do not have to be up so close that I do not get a good reference of the surrounding area....so some close up and some further away.

DUB

Quick Reply: Adhesive for SMC fender bonding