Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

solvent pop

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM
car71
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default solvent pop

Okay I figured I get I little practice in before I got back to prepping my vette for paint. So I decided to paint my pick up truck hood. Painted yesterday bc black,came out nice clear sprayed like glass.so this morning I put the hood outside in the sun help with drying. Came home about 10 hours later to find there was little pimples on part of the hood. Solvent pop I think? should I have left the hood inside to dry a couple days? And how long should I wait to repaint.thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by car71
Okay I figured I get I little practice in before I got back to prepping my vette for paint. So I decided to paint my pick up truck hood. Painted yesterday bc black,came out nice clear sprayed like glass.so this morning I put the hood outside in the sun help with drying. Came home about 10 hours later to find there was little pimples on part of the hood. Solvent pop I think? should I have left the hood inside to dry a couple days? And how long should I wait to repaint.thanks
Hi, sorry to hear about the problem. FWIW, and I'm far from an expert, I let base sit overnight and clear the next day. How many coats of clear did you put on? Wait time between coats? You didn't put it on TOO heavy dud you? FWIW, I'd do black Single Stage. not BC/CC. Good luck, get it sorted out before painting the Corvette.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can not YET buy into it being solvent pop.

I need more information...that being I need to know what type of clear you used....mixing ratios...hardener and reducer used...all that stuff.

I need to know your exact procedure when you started to apply product on it to when you cleaned you gun...BE VERY VERY VERY SPECIFIC. Flash times and HOW heavy you applied the product ( and how you set up your fluid adjustment on the gun) and HOW you determined that the next coat was able to be applied....stuff like that. Also the air temps at eh time you shot this and if it was humid as heck or not.

What time of day did you get done with painting it????...and HOW many hours until you got back to it to pull it outside????....AND....where these pimples in the paint when it was inside BEFORE you pulled it out????

Also I need you to REALLY LOOK at these pimples. IF they are solvent pops....you will actually see a small air bubble down IN the clear and it can be SUPER SMALL and actually make sue surface have a very slight texture due to these bubbles...AND if you run water across the paint in the sun....the bubbles DO NOT disappear....because they are IN the clear

Because you can have an issue with MOISTURE that is UNDER the clear...giving to the impression that these are solvent pops.

IF these are solvent pops...they are NO FUN to get rid of...but I do know how to do it.

DUB
Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 PM
car71
Instructor

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Hi, sorry to hear about the problem. FWIW, and I'm far from an expert, I let base sit overnight and clear the next day. How many coats of clear did you put on? Wait time between coats? You didn't put it on TOO heavy dud you? FWIW, I'd do black Single Stage. not BC/CC. Good luck, get it sorted out before painting the Corvette.
Thanks twinray two coats of clear half hour between coats.no it came out nice.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 PM
car71
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
I can not YET buy into it being solvent pop.

I need more information...that being I need to know what type of clear you used....mixing ratios...hardener and reducer used...all that stuff.

I need to know your exact procedure when you started to apply product on it to when you cleaned you gun...BE VERY VERY VERY SPECIFIC. Flash times and HOW heavy you applied the product ( and how you set up your fluid adjustment on the gun) and HOW you determined that the next coat was able to be applied....stuff like that. Also the air temps at eh time you shot this and if it was humid as heck or not.

What time of day did you get done with painting it????...and HOW many hours until you got back to it to pull it outside????....AND....where these pimples in the paint when it was inside BEFORE you pulled it out????

Also I need you to REALLY LOOK at these pimples. IF they are solvent pops....you will actually see a small air bubble down IN the clear and it can be SUPER SMALL and actually make sue surface have a very slight texture due to these bubbles...AND if you run water across the paint in the sun....the bubbles DO NOT disappear....because they are IN the clear

Because you can have an issue with MOISTURE that is UNDER the clear...giving to the impression that these are solvent pops.

IF these are solvent pops...they are NO FUN to get rid of...but I do know how to do it.

DUB
Spi clear medium reducer thinned out 10% two wet coats half hour flash time between coats. Gun fluid wide open screwed in until feel the trigger fan wide open cracked in 1/4 turn. Was finished painted at 7pm nice day low humidity. Next morning put the hood outside still looked good, no pimples, got home at 4pm walked over to the hood. There was these little pimples on half the hood with heavy peel. And when I spray it. hardly no peel at all. I was pissed so I just sanded it back down again.no pics I just wanted to forget about it. oh about 70 out when I painted.

Last edited by car71; 08-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Spi clear medium reducer thinned out 10% two wet coats half hour flash time between coats. Gun fluid wide open screwed in until feel the trigger fan wide open cracked in 1/4 turn. Was finished painted at 7pm nice day low humidity. Next morning put the hood outside still looked good, no pimples, got home at 4pm walked over to the hood. There was these little pimples on half the hood with heavy peel. And when I spray it. hardly no peel at all. I was pissed so I just sanded it back down again.no pics I just wanted to forget about it. oh about 70 out when I painted.
IF when you sanded down these pimples...when the surface dried...did you have a bunch of small white dots in the area where these pimples were located???

DUB
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 PM
car71
Instructor

No I didn't notice any white dots, was it to early to put the hood outside, Or this was going to happen regardless?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

No I didn't notice any white dots, was it to early to put the hood outside, Or this was going to happen regardless?
Solvent pops are going to happen rather quickly and NOT several hours later when a part is already dry....so-to-speak.... and then put in the sun.

The solvent pops will occur even if it was inside...which is why I asked some questions that have yet to be answered from my initial post.

The 'white dots'...occur when you sand on the clear...and go into a bubble...and thus ...NOW this bubble is an open air pocket that you cut the top off of when sanding....and when sanding the clear...the clear residue will get into these areas and fill them in and create white dots....where the clear residue is NOW in the solvent pop and dried.

A lot also has to do with your flash time between the coats if clear and how you air movement was during the time of painting. If you painted in a stagnant booth with no air moving....then often times the 'flash times' can be effected greatly. I do not know this.

IF you did have air moving in the 'booth'...then it CAN have a lot to do with where your started to apply the clear and stopped in regards to teh air stream going through the 'booth'.

I asked a lot of questions and only a few were answered...but that all have merit if you care to have an answer to your issue.

DUB
Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM
car71
Instructor

Sorry dub, I thought I was pretty clear on the questions you asked me ,from what I gather your saying it appears to be a water/moisture issue.I will take your word.You are the expert.and if that's the case I will keep and eye for that....thanks

Last edited by car71; 08-27-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:50 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll chime in with my little story here because you said it was only on part of the hood. I did a door repair that was lightly dented and heavily scratched. 2015 model, original paint, pretty easy job. Did the repair, blended the base, cleared the panel... looked great. Oh, and I use SPI universal clear as well. Anyways, went back out several hours later and it developed a pretty nasty "peel" and some little bubbling as you had described. Not so much in the depth of where the gouges were, because I had sanded, filled and primed there. But it happened all around the repaired area and spread to about 8" beyond the repair outward like a circle around my work. It looked awful and yes, it was very upsetting. (DUB, I think you know where this one is going already... and yes!... I use wax and grease remover before I start and in final prep stages). Long story short, I talked and talked to the guy about any out of the ordinary substances on his car and he told me that whatever hit his car left a lot of black "stuff" on it (silver car) so he used a rag and WD40 to "clean" it off. Now, even though I use a good wax and grease remover on everything I do, had I known he lathered it with WD40 before giving it to me to paint I would have taken some of that clear down way beyond the clean and scuff. I would have sanded, primed and painted the whole door (like I had to do the SECOND time around anyway). With all of that said... any history that you know of where "something" could have gotten on the hood in the past in the area you had a problem with?
Old 08-28-2016, 04:40 PM
car71
Instructor

Originally Posted by 13611
I'll chime in with my little story here because you said it was only on part of the hood. I did a door repair that was lightly dented and heavily scratched. 2015 model, original paint, pretty easy job. Did the repair, blended the base, cleared the panel... looked great. Oh, and I use SPI universal clear as well. Anyways, went back out several hours later and it developed a pretty nasty "peel" and some little bubbling as you had described. Not so much in the depth of where the gouges were, because I had sanded, filled and primed there. But it happened all around the repaired area and spread to about 8" beyond the repair outward like a circle around my work. It looked awful and yes, it was very upsetting. (DUB, I think you know where this one is going already... and yes!... I use wax and grease remover before I start and in final prep stages). Long story short, I talked and talked to the guy about any out of the ordinary substances on his car and he told me that whatever hit his car left a lot of black "stuff" on it (silver car) so he used a rag and WD40 to "clean" it off. Now, even though I use a good wax and grease remover on everything I do, had I known he lathered it with WD40 before giving it to me to paint I would have taken some of that clear down way beyond the clean and scuff. I would have sanded, primed and painted the whole door (like I had to do the SECOND time around anyway). With all of that said... any history that you know of where "something" could have gotten on the hood in the past in the area you had a problem with?
Not that i know of,All look good in till i put it in the sun.What i did add was a desiccant dryer to my compressor.already had inline water filters in place,and i was using a filter at the gun.Never ran into this before.hopefully everything will be fine next go around.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Sorry dub, I thought I was pretty clear on the questions you asked me ,from what I gather your saying it appears to be a water/moisture issue.I will take your word.You are the expert.and if that's the case I will keep and eye for that....thanks

If you do not have cut open air bubbles when you sanded it back down to rework it again..then the only thing I can think of it is a moisture issue...but you seem to have hat covered also....assuming that they are actually doing what they are supposed to do...which I am sure that they are...so...that is all I got.

I do not use the SPI clears so I am not the one to know if it has a dynamic that is different than other clears. I would imagine that SPI is in a world of its own and the technology to make it cure is still using current technology.

And not knowing what was done in the area that had this reaction...it could be an issue that was preexisting...which is along teh same thought as what '13611' mentioned.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To solvent pop

Quick Reply: solvent pop